How to work in a vietnamese environment

Hi all,

I am working in VN since few weeks, I'm just starting to beleive that I didn't studied enough about the VN style and way of thinking at work...

Will be grateful to get some points of view here,

What's are in general the difficulties of VN (staff or managers) that you noticied here ? How do you deal with it ?

What are the qualities and the positive points we should as foreigners take as an exemple, from VN ?

Last but ot least: How to avoid misunderstood and built a good relationship at work with VN So that we can work together in an efficient way ?

Hi Amelle85,

The first thing that I here noticed was the lack of punctuality.  I used to get very frustrated over that.  But, I later learned that is just the way these people function.  I am still not OK with it, I still try to encourage people to be more prompt.  But, I no longer expect it or get riled up over it.

The second thing that I learned was Vietnamese institutions do not select the bests and brightests; they choose the closest in their families or those of their best friends.  Call it nepotism if you will, but that is how it works here.  That little pug who is always late and, whenever he is around, doesn't seem to do much, might turn out to be the son of someone influential in the firm or government.  Before I get into contact with someone here, I made it a habbit to learn about his/her backgrounds first.  That way, if I can't make him/her go, I will know where to go next: the one who brought him/her there, then if necessary, the one who sent him/her there.

Vietnam is one of more dynamic countries on the planet.  Lots of changes are taking place.  If you are working here right now, you are right at the heart of all this.  Be patient, pick your spot, and grow from it.  Who knows...  You might one day be apart of something grand.

Last but not least, Vietnamese society is based on inter-personal relationships.  Discords are taken care of in subtle manners.  Never go-off on your co-workers in public; they will take it personal, and work will no longer be fun.  Like the pug that I had alluded to earlier, if he gets on your nerves, go-off on him at work will land you in hot water.  But, if you know the person who brought him there and, more importantly, the person who sent him there, ask them to set him straight.  If you handle things that way, you will see that this system is just as effective and efficient as the one we use in the west.  Vietnamese, just like all of us, don't like cancers. 

Best wishes,
Howie

P.S.  Which industry do you work in?

It is true that the work rules in Vietnam has many problems. However, it also has its cause. You should try to adapt to its environment. I wish you a wonderful time in Vietnam.