UK car in Hungary

Hello everyone was just wondering if any one could help me with a few questions.
OK I moved to Hungary last year I have now an ID card with address and tax number the whole shebang, although I do not plan on getting a Hungarian passport soon. I have a UK car that I use here it has MOT and insurance but with this new law with anyone having an address here in Hungary has to have a Hungarian number plate. I have looked into getting it swapped over but it looks like its gona cost quite a bit of cash to do so, which I could really do without as I am setting up a apartment business here and all spare cash is going on that

I would not worry too much in the short term. Whilst I don't personally condone it, there are Brits who have lived here for years with UK registered cars with no tax or MoT.
I don't have any details but the cost depends on the make, model, engine size etc. I have heard of someone being quoted £10,000 in import duty or whatever they choose to call the charges for registration.
As it happens, I need to re-register my Vauxhall van but I'm still waiting for my address card. I'm hoping I might find a used car dealer willing to handle the re-registration on my behalf. They will be familiar with the process as they sometimes obtain cars from other European countries.

fidobsa wrote:

.... I have heard of someone being quoted £10,000 in import duty or whatever they choose to call the charges for registration.
As it happens, I need to re-register my Vauxhall van but I'm still waiting for my address card. I'm hoping I might find a used car dealer willing to handle the re-registration on my behalf....

It's a registration fee, not import duty for intra-EC registrations.  The highest amount that can be paid is about HUF 5 million. That's around EUR 13K max. The lowest is around EUR 120. Electric vehicles are supposedly exempt from this registration fee. I am not sure about hybrids. The wording used says, "electronic" cars, perhaps a mistranslation.

There are changes in the costs from previously as they are based now on the power of the car, not the engine size.

But it's still a total rip off compared with many other countries.

....New rules on ownership applied from September 1, stipulating that vehicles owned by full time Hungarian residents can only operate on Hungary's public roads with a domestic registration number.

The exemption to this rule applies only to:

1) vehicle owners whose permanent residence is outside of Hungary

2) vehicle owners who use vehicles in the Hungarian territory for the period of up to 30 days

3) drivers who use vehicles for their regular working activities outside of Hungary

Upon inspection, the official evidence of fulfillment of those conditions must be provided.

What the inspection is, I don't know. Probably the cops check your passport against a database to see if you are resident and if not, that's initially sufficient at a roadside vehicle check.

Despite the law changes, I hardly think there will be a major rush to re-register cars. Assuming the usual ill thought out Hungarian legislation, I presume some people will simply register their cars in the names of their overseas relatives or businesses and continue to use them.

I can see tensions building up with legitimate foreign drivers travelling in and through Hungary, e.g. hassling foreign motorists on a regular basis. This is the kind of thing goes on in Austria as well.

I forgot to mention, there is a discussion of this subject at the moment on the Facebook group ExpatsHungary.com CHAT.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Upon inspection, the official evidence of fulfillment of those conditions must be provided.

What the inspection is, I don't know. Probably the cops check your passport against a database to see if you are resident and if not, that's initially sufficient at a roadside vehicle check.

"inspection" is when a policeman stops you for no reason, "present your papers, citizen" style. I think the official name is "routine vehicle inspection". It's an accepted practice in post communist countries. Regular drivers must present their driving license and vehicle documentation ("forgalmi") and proof of liability insurance. Failing to present these is some kind of offense on its own, and results in further investigation.
To me your quote means drivers of foreign licensed cars must also present evidence on the spot for meeting one of the three requirements.

Remember the part in the first original star wars movie where the stormtroopers pull over Luke and Obi Wan in their dinky flying car to check their papers? We saw that under communism first, and thought nothing of it, actually thought the heroes were stupid not to have hid the robots...

szocske wrote:

It's an accepted practice in post communist countries.

It is a simple random, routine inspection. You may be asked to show your paperwork, and required equipment that is suppose to be in the car (hazard triangle, extra light set, etc). They may also check for intoxication (the driver must have 0% blood alcohol in Hungary).

And not at all unique to "post communist countries". From personal experience I can say when I lived in Switzerland, driving a Swiss car with a Swiss drivers license, I was stopped for routine inspection once by the Swiss police.

In 14 years of traveling to, or living in Hungary, I have been stopped for routine inspection by the Hungarian police twice. It is really no big deal.

Roczy wrote:

I have a UK car that I use here it has MOT and insurance

Why not just sell it in the UK and buy a used car in Hungary? Much less hassle.

Thanks to all for kind advice think its gona be a reregister in my daughters name \Jon

I am UK citizen and bringing UK car to Hungary. As i am only renting a apartment, thereofore i am staying in HUngary only on temporary base, not a fulltime resident, and also i will travel with this car outside of the borders at least once a month. Do i still need to re-register on Hungarian plates?
Thanks

the_highlander wrote:

I am UK citizen and bringing UK car to Hungary. As i am only renting a apartment, thereofore i am staying in HUngary only on temporary base, not a fulltime resident, and also i will travel with this car outside of the borders at least once a month. Do i still need to re-register on Hungarian plates?
Thanks

I wouldn't bother re-registering it. Costs money and does little. It'll probably also be RHD.

The main thing is to be consistent. If you register yourself with the authorities as resident you are expected to register your car. If not, you're just a visitor and a tourist.

You should also think about your green card insurance as EU insurance only covers you for the basic liability. A long term green card would cover you the same as the UK insurance (e.g. fully comp).

oh right.
Tell me more about this green car? Is this essential and who is eligible for it and what are the benefits?
cheers mate

the_highlander wrote:

oh right.
Tell me more about this green car? Is this essential and who is eligible for it and what are the benefits?
cheers mate

I think you should Google it or contact your insurance broker.