New to KSA

On my way to KSA and will be arriving around January 5th, 2012.  Will be working with Alpha Star Aviation as a flight medic supervisor.  Will be staying at the Madareem Crown Hotel for a few days and then will be moving to the FAL compund.  I've been doing a lot of research and I'm pretty excited about working in KSA.  My family will be following me as soon as we get things squared away.

Hello fellow Texan!!  Glad to know that you and your family will be joining us in the desert.  Safe travels!!

Thanks for the welcome...Hope to meet you while we are there..

No worries - just holler when you get in town!

welcome to Saudi, new experiences just make life more interesting

welcome to the city of sand!
Enjoy your stay! :)

etaylor58 wrote:

On my way to KSA and will be arriving around January 5th, 2012.  Will be working with Alpha Star Aviation as a flight medic supervisor.  Will be staying at the Madareem Crown Hotel for a few days and then will be moving to the FAL compund.  I've been doing a lot of research and I'm pretty excited about working in KSA.  My family will be following me as soon as we get things squared away.

Hello, WELCOME AT Saudi Arabia, and Expat.
I'll bring my traditional Arabic Coffee, and sweets at Madareem Crown. Have a safety trip!

MS,etaylor58
welcome  in Saudi Arabia 
I prefer for you to spend good time her & According to your work I think Alwadi Compound .it's good for you

Thank you shmally for your reply. The company I will be working for has already set up a place for me to live at the FAL compound.

Eldon

have a safe trip ...fal is a decent place ....enjoy ur stay :DD

Thanks budo...Appreciate the reply.

welcome! i hope you will have a good time (aside from work) here! :) happy new year as well! :)

Hey neighbour! welcome! I`m staying in Madarem compound also. hope we`ll meet for a coffee the morning or a good or a nice shisha in the evening.

Hi etaylor58,
i think you already here in Riyadh i wish you have safe coming trip and you enjoy it.
i hope you like here and wishing you good time i work in the Saudi Commission Tourism in the Diplomatic quarter. please allow me to invite you for coffee by the way i have 2 brother's citizen in NY.

Hello;

Well I made it...Got here on Saturday evening, January 7th just before midnite.  Finally got to the hotel Madareem around 1:30am.  Spent Sunday doing orientation with my company HR and getting some other stuff.. Finally slowed down last night and got a good nights rest. Gabriela I'll be here for a week or two if your still at the hotel just let me know and we can meet in the lobby for coffee.  I'm not doing much today (Monday) except for resting and getting a few personal things done.  Go to work tomorrow morning.

Glad you made it to the desert!!!  Enjoy your stay in Riyadh!

Thanks Houstonian...How about those Texans?

etaylor58 wrote:

Thanks Houstonian...How about those Texans?

Haha!!  I know right!!!  About darn time!!

etaylor58, welcome here and please try the camel milk :) it's healthy.
still offering coffee in the D.Q and you may see the area you will like it.

Thank you Shazali.  How do I get to the D.Q.?

Hi Shazali. What is Saudi Tourism commission. Does it arrange safari trips and tours for expats also. thanks

Hi etaylor58 : you are most welcomed in KSA.. I think you and your family will have good time here though it is too much different from western areas. I hope to meet you during your stay and have friendship. thanks

etaylor58, Thank you Shazali. How do I get to the D.Q.? you are welcome. by taxi tell him "hy alsafarat" where the american embassy at or give me call if he can't understand you 0566995590

hi Ahmed2012, please check the link of scta and you will may find all what scta can do www.scta.gov.sa. we don't do Safari trips we give permission to travel agencies to do Safari trips if needed.

Thank you Shazali. If I get a chance in the next couple of days I'll take a trip over there to meet with you.  Appreciate the information.

welcome to Saudi Arabia .. i hope everything is going good with you :)

you are welcome etaylor58 at any time. and please don't hesitate to contact me if help needs.
we gather all with my friend from southAfrica every Thursday you are welcome to join us.

Thank you Shazali I would be very interested in meeting with you.  What time do you meet on Thursdays?  I work from 7:00am to 5:00pm. Thank you Ackeles. I noticed on your profile that your birthday is August 7th.  So is mine.

Hi Mr.Taylor i guess u r already in KSA I will be coming to KSA soon just wondering how was u r customs experience how much time did it take and did they check u r belongings like laptop, camera etc......

Hello Gailsman.  Experience was positive.  The customs personnel were conducting random checks and fortunatley they only went through a few of my items. I was cleared through pretty quickly. They do X-Ray everything.

Take care and have a safe trip.

I got word today that I would probably be moving into my residence at the FAL compound on Saturday, January 14th.  I'm going to need to start getting some items i.e., pillows, blankets, cooking and eating utensils, etc.  If anyone hasn't got anything better to do this week and has wheels I would appreciate some assistance...Thanks

etaylor58 wrote:

I got word today that I would probably be moving into my residence at the FAL compound on Saturday, January 14th.  I'm going to need to start getting some items i.e., pillows, blankets, cooking and eating utensils, etc.  If anyone hasn't got anything better to do this week and has wheels I would appreciate some assistance...Thanks

I don't have wheels, but I am willing to help you sort, carry, clean your new place... :) message me if ever. :)

Thanks, I'll stay in touch.

Thanks Ahmed for the assitance.  I guess what I will need to do sometime this week is get a driver who can take me to the mall where I can grab the stuff I need right now and help me get it back to my residence in the FAL compund. Anyon ehave an idea on how I can do this?  Are theere people or agencies that I can contact to contract a person with a vehicle for a day.  I think a taxi would work if that is wat I would have to do just more convinent if there is someone that can take me, wait while I pick up the stuff I need, put it in their vehicle and then take me back to the compund.  If anyone has any suggestions I appreciate it.

You might find it easier to get the things you need at one of the big Hyper markets rather than a mall.

HyperPanda,Carfourre, and LuLu are all good and any  taxi can take you there.  Buy what you want.  When you leave, hail another taxi.

VOILA!

Good luck :)

debenhams has great pillows...n duvet covers..sheets...
u can buy kitchen stuff from a hyper market like danube

call sixt agency and ask for a driver along with the car

I was at Careforre this morning and noted they did have most if not all of the items I need.  Thanks for the info... How do I contact the sixt agency?

here you go,

http://www.sixt.com/car-rental/

SIXT station Riyadh Radisson BLU Hotel RUHC02 King Abdulaziz Road 11415 Riyadh 26.285700, 50.198031

#:00966-1-4791234-8424

Hello fellow Texan! I'm moving from San Antonio to Riyadh within the next week or so.  My company is putting me up in their temporary housing while I'm waiting for a compound- those waiting lists are long! But one of the waiting lists I'm on is the FAL compound. Please let me know how that's going with you. But more importantly, how do you like Riyadh so far?

Welcome to Saudi! We hope this will be a fruitful experience for you and your family :)