Pre Arranging a Airport Taxi pick up - Ho Chi Minh Airport

Hello!

My move to Ho Chi Minh City is only a few weeks away and I now want to look at pre-arranging a taxi pick up for my arrival to avoid paying high costs.

Can anyone advise me the best way of going about this? Is there a company I can E-mail?

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Michael

Hi Micheal,

You were the young gentleman that wanted to explore the HCM Trail, weren't you?

Do you know where exactly you will be staying in Saigon, yet?  If it is one of the major hotels, they might have pick-up service there.  But, regardless, find out exactly how far you are going to stay away from the airport first.  If it is not too far, as soon as you get out of the HCMC airport, turn left a little and you will see a line of taxis waiting to take you where you want to go.  For the most part, these guys are very good.

But if you want to be sure, once you get to your hotel, ask the taxi to wait a little for you to check-in and get your Vietnamese Dongs.  Once you are checked-in, ask the receptionist to verify the meter, pay your fare for you and put it on your room.  Most of them would know the right rate.  If he/she learns of any discrepancy, he/she can work the taxi guy down to the right price.  Then, all you need is tip him/her about 1/2 of the difference.

Remember to be kind to that individual.  Get on the right side of that person, he/she can get you lots of things and rescue you from many tight turns.  For example, if you need your visa extended, he or she can do it for you; or if he/she is comfortable enough with you, during his/her off hours, he/she can even show you around the city for free.

Don't waste your time arranging the pick-up.  It might even end up costing you more; and you won't get an opportunity to learn how sharp your receptionist can be.  If the receptionist is an ass, then get the guard to do all that for you.  But, start with the receptionist first, for he/she has more knowledge that the guard.

That is how I deal with taxis in a new city here.  If the fare was correct, I usually tip my receptionist 50 thousand VNDs, that is a little over $2 USDs.

Good luck and welcome to Vietnam,
Howie

Hi Howie,

Yep that's me!

From my week in Saigon in September my receptionst was great so I can totally relate to your post. However I'm staying with a friend for a few days at the start of the trip so I won't have that luxury! :(

Ok great I'll definitely take your word on just turning up and jumping in a Taxi. I'll smile and hope for the best haha.

Thanks for the advice!

Michael

HCMC/SaiGon AIRPORT TAXI'S
Tan Son Nhut airport is a taxi honey trap except it is operated by the airport owners - a government agency.

With 11,000 taxis operating during the day ime and over 1,400 operating throughout the night there is NEVER a need to book a taxi, apart from the fact it's near impossible.

After you collect your baggage, GO TO THE EXCHANGE BUREAU, which is located near the exit doors on the arrivals level. $20 of VN Dong is quite adequatee.

You can take the luggage trolley outside the building. As you leave the terminal building you will see A MASS OF WHITE TAXIS. AVOID THESE AS THEY SUPER CHARGE YOU.

Instead turn to the LEFT, as you leave the building, and walk to the end of the terminal forecourt where you exchange trolleys (free) then walk gown the covered pathway to the DOMESTIC (old) terminal where you will find taxi greeters, who speak English, and they even give you a paper with your cab number on it in case you have a complaint.

VINA TAXI (yellow) are the safest and most honest (Singaporean owned) followed by MAI LINH (green or white taxis) or the WORST 0 VinaSun (white) - unsafe at any speed.

ALWAYS take TAXI PLATE NUMBERS, and company [b]NUMBERS, when in VietNam.[/b]

IF the cabby puts your baggage in the REAR when you arrive at your DESTINATION, DO NOT GET OUT UNTIL THE DRIVER DOES - avoids baggage theft.

Notes: 1. No part of DOWNTOWN costs more than VND100,000 (except using WHITE AIRPORT TAXI'S)l
2. NEVER use a taxi OTHER THAN THOSE NAMED because of pirates. ALWAYS check TAXI LOGO'S - (PIRATES use MAGNETIC SIGNS - which can be removed). Again - choices are VIBA (yellow) - MAI LINH (green or white) - VINASUN (white) - last resort.

There NO SURCHARGES on AIRPORT TAXI FARES - they used but no more. If asked, just check at the hotel and they will straighten the driver out.

BY VN LAW: Everyone HAVE TO ACCEPT DONG; Every VENDOR has to give CORRECT CHANGE.

If a taxi driver says NO CHANGE - just say MIEN PHI (free) and suddenly they will find change.

HA NOI (Noi Bai) AIRPORT
Ha Noi airport is worse than SaiGon. (So much for being a 'Communist' country - taxis in China obey the law) assume ALL airport taxis are crooks. If you MUST use a taxi use MAI LINH (green or white) OR DELUXE (white).

NEVER TELL ANYONE inside the airport WHERE YOU ARE GOING.

INSTEAD go outside and locate the VIETNAM AIRLINES SHUTTLE bus which will take you to HOAN KIEM LAKE and there you get a taxi to your hotel.

NEVER, EVER ask a taxi driver to FIND A HOTEL. ALWAYS DEMAND you get taken to YOUR HOTEL. WATCH OUT if a cabby uses his cell phone (he might be arranging for a white jacketed friend you meet you to say NO ROOM!) so ALWAYS GO to the RECEPTION DESK. If the hotel IS REALLY full, they will locate an equivalent room for you.

When you enter the hotel you might be followed by a VN person - he will ask for a COMMISSION from the hotel which you will get to pay, one way or another.

OTHER CITY AIRPORTS
Ban Me Thuot - taxi
Cam Ranh Bay - taxi to CRB BUT SHUTTLE to Nga Trang
Can Tho - taxi
Da Nang - taxi to city; SHUTTLE to Hoi An
Hue - SHUTTLE to city (15 kilometres) and it might take you to Pilgrim's Resort (en route) if you ask nicely
Hai Phong - taxi

Again: NEVER leave a cab until the driver gets out if you gave luggage; ALWAYS make a note of CAB PLATE and LOGO numbers ALWAYS demand change (if you want to tio, do so ONLY after you get change).

Please do not hit our taxi drivers. An Australian had an argument with a driver, so he grabbed his bag and got out. The cabby got out and grabbed his bag]; the Australian punched the driver who fell backwards and cracked his head on the sidewalk, Dead on the scene. Australian arrested and charged with murder.

If you have a dispute with a cabby take his badge number.plate.logo number and complain to his office OR just remain in the cab holding open - he will not move.

Most cabbies are 'hit and run' artists, one even tried to drive away with a traffic cop on his hood!

If this is a 'Communist' country consider that when SaiGon companies first invaded Ha Noi, the Ha Noi cab companies used to jam radio frequencies and they even had transmitters giving false passenger pick-up info on SaiGon company frequencies! Wouldn't happen in China.

P.S. Most cabbies are ordinary working stiffs but there is a higher than usual number of crooks.

(Not all this is for you, Mr. Google will pick it up!)