What is the best way to bring precious metals to Cuenca?

Hello everyone, I am just wondering what the best way to bring (or ship) precious metals to Cuenca would be. Any advice would be appreciated. I do not have all that much but I don't want the corrupt TSA to get their grubby hands on my metal and steal it.

Well, if you place it in a paper bag, inside your carry on bag, they will know its there when it goes through the scanner. If they want to open the carry on to have a look, make sure you are right there watching them. And don't let them open the paper bag, so no one else can see it.

Ok, thanks. Do you have personal experience with this method?

I brought some in, had no problem, guess not enough they wanted it. lol

Cool. Thanks for the advice!

I don't really have much it's less than 3,000 worth. I was thinking about getting a book and calling myself a coin collector. I figured they wouldn't give me such a hastle if it was legit looking like that....?

What a pain in the ass!

You can't. Its illegal.

can you buy gold and silver in the city? In Ecuador? I know you can in Panama.

Healer wrote:

can you buy gold and silver in the city? In Ecuador?

I used to buy gold on every trip to Ecuador for my goldbug friend Jean of Bronx, New York.  Typically, gold bracelets and necklaces.

Here in Quito, where I now reside, there are numerous shops -- which typically say "compro oro" in the window -- in Mariscal sector and in Centro Historico, that deal in gold.

I never had any problems getting the gold through customs when I returned to the U.S., and if there were any significant tariffs, I would remember them -- which I don't.  I usually didn't bring back more than $500-600 worth of gold per trip.

Jean reciprocated by picking me up at JFK Airport, on top of reimbursing me for the "mercancias."

cccmedia in Quito