American Woman contemplating move to Czech Republic seeks information

Any and all advice welcome.
I live in the United States and have been interested in the Czech Republic since I discovered part of my family migrated from Czechoslovakia.
I am 27, a psych student and I have many goals for my future.
I guess I am just looking to meet people and learn more about the country and overall lifestyle of living in the Czech Republic.

Welcome to Expat.com amberGMTFOH!

Do not hesitate to browse through the forum.;)

Harmonie.:)

Hey,
I am moving to Prague from Texas on March 16. I'm 30. Single girl, no kids. Just needing/wanting a major life change. Planning to teach English. I've already started some networking with "friends" to try and get to know people before I move. What are you wanting to do there? Work?
I'm doing the TEFL Certification once I get there. Then will find a teaching job. I've looked at places to live online for a while now, but may just wait til I get there and look. Maybe stay at a hotel for the first week.

Hope to hear back soon!
Mindee

Hi, Mindee. I wouldn't stay at a hotel. It's cheaper to rent a short-term apartment. That is what I do when I visit Prague and I have always been happy with it. Renting a short-term will also give you a deeper feel for the place more quickly than if you were to stay at a hotel.

Just as importantly, it will help you learn what to avoid in a long-term apartment as well. For example, the communist-era apartments I have stayed in have no noise insulation whatsoever. Good luck!

Thanks. Good advice. I had some friends suggest I rent an apartment for a month or at least a few weeks before I commit to a place. I was thinking about that option. Do you visit Prague often? Are you actually a lawyer, as your name suggests?? Any specific areas of Prague you'd suggest for an apartment? I'd like to be centrally located. I don't mind the noisy tourist areas. I will rely on the hustle and bustle to distract me from my homesickness!
Thanks!