Looking forward to move to Antewerp

Hi,

Let me introduce my self to you all, I am Pavan from Bangalore, India and Software Engineer.

I will be moving to Belgium on a project assignment in 2012 for at least 6 months and my office is at Wetteren. Place near Gent. I am planning for 1Bed furnished apartment for staying.

Here in office, people suggests to have an apartment in Antewerp. Can any one suggests is it a better option or do I have other options?

Offcourse I also want to know what is the cost of living for couple for a month. Which is the better area/decent locality in Antwerp ( interms of connectivity to public transport, market, hospital) and any Indian Locality.

By the way what is the income tax rate in Belgium?

Thanks
Pavan

Ignore this advice. I am assuming you are probably going to be reliant at least in the beginning on public transport. Wetteren is on a direct train link to Gent, to travel to Antwerp requires taking a train to Gent and then to Antwerp, now why on earth would you do that? North West Brussels is also a better choice than Antwerp. I absolutely advise NOT Antwerp unless you have a car and wish to travel for a minimum of one hour each way each day, instead of a 12 minute train trip to Gent!!! It's a no brainer, Antwerp is just a crazy suggestion. Are you colleagues advising you to go there just because there are lots of Indians who deal in diamonds there?

Furnished accommodation is not as common as unfurnished, but furnished is more common in areas with high student populations.

Gent has a big student population so you should be able to find a  1 bed flat there for 500 euro a month. Shared accommodation - when it's a student type accommodation it is often referred to by the Dutch name of "kot" and those are 300-400 euro per month.

Income tax depends on income and if you are single or have dependants. Use this calculator. Remember that after working a year in Belgium, you "earn" a salary of 13.92 months instead of 12 months, extra 1 month at Christmas, extra .92 month in May.
http://payroll.partena.be/s_mp_websimul … gtype=2067