Possible move to PR with a young child

I know this topic has been exhausted here and many of my questions may be answered elsewhere but I have a to unload my thoughts and decided to do it here and see what advise I get... thanks in advance to anyone that can shed some light.

My husband will possibly be transferred to PR with his job. We have a soon to be 3 year old and my main concern is the transition for him and his education. We have a house here and really don't think selling is a good idea so we will be renting it out. We will rent be renting in PR, preferably a house with at least 3-4 bedrooms and AC. ;-) I would say our rental budget is about $2000. I want to find a good private school that is English speaking. I am not 100% sure on the are yet but it will likely be Caguas or somewhere between Caguas and San Juan. (my husband is originally from Caguas. I would prefer a gated community. We will definitely be sending my car but not sure about my husband's as he will be provided a company car. And we will most likely take all of our furniture. I have looked ALOT in Caguas for houses only because that is the only area I know. And as for a job for me... IDK. I work in banking now. I am fluent in Spanish (my family is Dominican) but I feel self conscious about it at times, like think I sound funny. anyway... okay I have a few questions.

House - Can someone suggest other areas or specific neighborhoods that I may like. (AC, larger houses, $1500 to $2000 budget)...

Schools - Private/Catholic preferably English speaking, Not too pricey but am willing to check out all options. I looked at St, Johns and LOVE it. In the are ranging for Caguas to San Juan...

Groceries - I know that in PR they eat LOTS of meat and I feel like most foods at restaurants especially have some kind of beef, pork or chicken in it. We do eat seafood but we also eat a variety of veggies. So the question is do the grocery store have a variety of fresh veggies (broccoli, green beans, squash, asparagus and so on...) I feel like when I think of typical PR food it all rice, beans meat, platanos and yuca. Will I find a variety or normal green veggies as well??

Cars and furniture - Will it cost a lot to ship them. if they are financed can I ship it over there. My car happens to be financed with a Bank that is also in PR so I think that might make it a little easier.

Jobs - Seeing as I have quite a bit if banking experience and speak Spanish I really shouldn't have an issue right. I am not sure that I really want to go into banking though.

I'm sure I have a ton more questions but these are the basics on my mind right now.

Thanks!!!

23 views and no feedback...   :-( 

I have been reading a lot of the previous posts and have learned quite a bit. But I hope to get more info as well...

Thanks!!

Hello LACruz and welcome to Expat.com!

Thanks for introducing yourself.;)

Your post is still new, give the time for other members to reply you.;)

Harmonie.

Thanks Harmonie!!!

OK, I'll give it a go. I hesitate to answer too much because I catch flak sometimes for telling people that it's not always as "wonderful and peachy keen" here on the island as they think it is. It's true that a majority of people thinking about coming here are not that financially well of and some one should apprise them of certain realities of life in Puerto rico. Some things you just shouldn't sugar coat. However, with what you explain about your family and situation, you should be able to deal better with some things the rest of us can't. Like paying very high elec. bills and food costs.

Job- Sounds like that is pretty well taken care of for your husband. As for you, speaking fluent Spanish is always a plus. From what I've seen here, having experience in banking and speaking the language may not be enough to land you a job. Work is very difficult to find at best and if you aren't related to someone or have solid connections where you are applying you might find that little or nothing will be available. Nepotism is rampant here. Somebody's 4th cousin will almost always get the job before you even if they aren't qualified.

Cars and furniture- Cars, somebody else should expand on that one. I suggest calling La Rosa del Monte movers. They are essentially the people to go to for moves back and forth to PR and they are in your area. They will get your stuff there quicker and with less trouble than anyone else. Your stuff won't sit at customs because their stuff gets sent right on through and delivered right to your door. It only took two weeks to get our stuff from VA to PR. Just watch them closely and get everything in writing. Don't make any verbal agreements with them. 

House rental-  look up www.clasificadosonline to find a rental in the area and price range you are looking for. I'd suggest maybe lowering your monthly price a bit lower than $2,000. First off, you can get a lot more house here with that kind of money than where you are at right now. The other reason is that your power bill is going to be very high especially if you want to use your AC more than just once in awhile.

Groceries- Ah yes food. Food is wonderful here in Puerto Rico. There are a great many chefs and good restaurants on this island. But just because we have a year round growing season, don't expect to find much in the way of great veggies and greens. What you do find in the supermarkets is usually very high priced, of dubious quality and very limited selection. There are places you can get better veggies than others. There are a number of decent farmers markets in the metropolitan areas. Just resign yourself that if you live here, your eating habits, likes and dislikes will definitely have to be adjusted.

Schools- Private school is probably the best way for you to go. I won't personally say anything disparaging about the public schools here but everyone that I've talked to that is from here always recommends going to private school whenever possible. It should be a wonderful opportunity for your son. At age 3 he can easily learn both languages at the same time. I can't recommend a particular private school but you should be able to find one that suits you if you are living in or around a metro area. We have a 9 year old daughter and couldn't find a suitable school in our area so my wife is home schooling her.

I'll say to you what I tell everyone else. Come here. Check the place out. As often as you can. Check out the stores. See what the prices are like. If you like a certain area try to find out from someone who lives there what there utility bills are like. Most of all, just be prepared to make some physical, emotional and mental adjustments. There really is a lot to enjoy here. My biggest concern is with people who want to come here on a very limited budget and have a tough time getting by because things cost so much more than they realized. I have to give you one last word of caution. If you are an animal lover you might have a difficult time with how poorly they treat animals here in general.

All this is just from my limited experience of 8 years trying to get here and 5 months of actual living here. If you would like to talk more, send me an email and I'll send you my phone number. I wish you and your family well and hope everything works out for the best.

Gregg Kurtz

I second GreggK's thorough response.

I would add to check out Commonwealth Parkville School. It is English speaking, has an excellent reputation, seemed very responsive when I dealt with it, and the elementary school (the "Parkville" half of Commonwealth Parkville) is located in Guaynabo, which you probably know is much closer to Caguas than St. John's. Also, the school's tuition is approximately $11,000 per year, while St. John's is approximately $17,000. (Picking up at St. John's is also a bit of a traffic nightmare for all of Condado.)

Great info thanks!! Gregg, I have TONS of research so far and I can see that a job might be hard. Maybe someone in my husband's family can help me find one.

Did I forget to mention that we go to PR about once a year. But visiting and having a great time and eating out all the time is def different then living there which is why I ask questions. I can ask my husband's family but they don't have all the answers. Like about food I am looking for and moving expenses. I found a neighborhood on Caguas that I LOVE!!! the house I like is $1700 and has central AC. How much would the power be I wonder?? we pay about $280 - $300 here and the house I found is also the same size as mine which is GREAT!! I know our eating habits will change a bit, We are Spanish so we eat a lot of Spanish / Caribbean cooking but like I said we are borderline vegetarians and I really don't want to be eating starch and carbs all day. When I was there in June I hated that places didn't serve nice green salads. Or that I could get friggin BROCCOLLI as a side. LOL! I wonder if I can grow a veggie garden??? mmm! I may do that.

Anyway!! Thanks everyone! Any other info will be greatly appreciated. I will keep you all updated to any new developments on our possible move.

Oh and Gregg, your "truthful" commentary doesn't bother me at all. I know EXACTLY what we are getting ourselves into. But it is an awesome opportunity for my hubby so we are willing to make the move. and in all honesty I LOVE PR and I adore his family and would love to be closed to them. I know the difference a good paying job can make. I know how hard life can be there as well. But I am prepared to take on the challenges. But I appreciate all your input regardless negative or positive.

Hi LaCruz,
I will give a go at answering some of your questions as well.
I have a completely different outlook on Puerto Rico than some of the other contributors. I have lived here now for 1 1/2 years and I live in condado. I am from New York City (Upper East Side), but lived in London and California for several years. By Far, Puerto Rico is the best location and where the quality of life is far higher than most on the mainland.
I feel grocercies are MUCH cheaper here, which is interesting that others do not see the same. I shop at supermarkets like Pueblo, Supermax and occasionally Costco. (Huge Costco in Carolina) For $150 I can get bags and bags of groceries that feed my little family for 1 week and a half ( and we are big eaters!) I grab fresh veggies all the time! Actually your variety of fresh fruits and veggies are similar to what is available in many of the gourmet markets on the mainland, but for half the price! (ie, mango's,avocados pineapple, plums, peaches, apples, lettuce, bananas, passion fruit, coconuts!) i can keep going. These fruits and veggies are in abundance and are 100% less expensive here on the island.
Since you and your husband are spanish, you will also find the wide variety of local produce fantastic and extremely fresh. I also love buying my fruit at the side of the road, like fresh canepas, plantains and passion fruit. Great buys for 2 dollars and such

Shipping a car is not that bad, but can be a tad pricy (ie $2,500 for shipping , plus insurance cost, plus import car tax) but if you have the vehicle, do it! We used (in ny) Flor de Mayo shipping. Not bad, took 2 weeks to get here from time we sent it. ( they have a faster option for more money, but we felt no rush) All of our furniture shipped to, they delivered, unpacked, set up and even cleaned! --FANTASTIC

BY FAR ST. JOHNS is the best on this side of the Island. I happen to know several parents who send their children their as well as teachers. Not only does your child learn Spanish, BUT french as well. The education is fantastic/international.
Tied into that, the parents you meet while your child goes to the school are fantastic connections for you if you are looking to job place here in whatever industry you choose. I found it very easy to attain a job here on the island. My husband and I moved without jobs and within the first week we had them.
Being Multi lingual ( meaning you speak English!!) is a HUGE plus and will absolutely be towards your benefit.

Caguas is a great neighborhood. Also look at Bayamon which is close by. Wonderful family neighborhoods, tree lined streets, dog walkers, etc. Great communities, international and perfect for your transition. I would not go lower on price if you want a 3-4 bedroom. $2000 a month on that size is very inexpensive as you well may now. Best is that for that price you will be able to grab a decent rental. Your electricity should reflect the same as your stated above. in the $300 range...BUT that will go down!
PR just partnered and passed a new energy bill that will incorporate (FINALLY) green energy! IT will drastically cut energy costs for all islanders. We are very excited.

All in All, the REALTY is, your are incredibly lucky you have the opportunity and the means to move to an island in the Caribbean, which also happens to be a common wealth of the US. Daily life here is incredible, easy going and a wise investment for your families future! So Congratulations!!