Moving to Stockholm

Hello everybody:)

I have couple of questions and I hope someone can help me.
My boyfriend is considering a job offer in Stockholm, and that would mean we would have to move.
And here is my problem, I am worried that I wont be able to find a job.  Searching trough internet on various forums most of the users write that it is not easy to find work in Sweden.

And I really don't won't that all of the financial burden falls on my boyfriend, and I wont to work and have my own income and interests.

I finished college. Art academy, department of conservation and restoration of art. I have some experience in the field.
Beside formal education I love and know painting, mosaic art, sculpture, photography, cooking, animals (volunteered in a dog shelter)....
If someone could tell me how to look for museum jobs in Sweden?

I started learning swedish language but for now I only know basics.
And of course until I learn the language very well I would do any job, I am not shy or picky. I love to cook very much, maybe find a job in a kitchen, that would be great. 

Any tips and tricks are very wellcome:)

Thank you

Hello there,

Well, as for language you need to get yourself on an SFI course ASAP, that is free and a good place to start networking to boot.

May I suggest The Local newspaper (if you have not done so already) for jobs:
thelocal.se/jobs

And for a more irreverent look at Swedish life may I HIGHLY recommend subscribing to this blog:
thenorthernplights.com

Good luck,

Adrian

The Dippylomat esq wrote:

Hello there,

Well, as for language you need to get yourself on an SFI course ASAP, that is free and a good place to start networking to boot.

May I suggest The Local newspaper (if you have not done so already) for jobs:
thelocal.se/jobs

And for a more irreverent look at Swedish life may I HIGHLY recommend subscribing to this blog:
thenorthernplights.com

Good luck,

Adrian

Hello Adrian,

I know language is a problem and I am working on that.
Thank you for the links I will look into It.
Problem is my job is very specific and there for is harder to find information's.
I will be going to Stockholm in February for three weeks and get a better picture of Sweden:)

To be honest, I have a very specific job too (journalism, although I am a bit tipsy at the mo so it may not read like I have any qualifications at all!)

Networking is the key over here, there is a lot of 'friend nepotism' - start looking into forums and messageboards of the subjects you are interested in, that may help too.

Networking is the key over here, there is a lot of 'friend nepotism' - start looking into forums and messageboards of the subjects you are interested in, that may help too.

I was thinking when I come to Stockholm in February to visit some museums and institutions and ask around directly for possible internships or even volunteering to get some experience.
How do swedish employers look on that? Or do they prefer official approach trough mail or phone?
Uff I hate nepotism, in my country there's plenty of that:)
I am little surprised at that, I thought Sweden was all by the book?

In the cold light of a Swedish winter morning, perhaps 'nepotism' was was the wrong word, it is more about how you find out about work...people who work in the industry will have more knowledge of what is available within that industry, they won't however be able to give you a foot up! So, the Swedes are stll a very 'play by the rules' nation, it just seems the best way to find out about the jobs is know someone with one! This is what I gather from other ex-pats out here.

I personally think that the personal approach is the one that works best, but that is from my own experience and I have only approach other ex-pat writers out here.

I personally think that the personal approach is the one that works best, but that is from my own experience and I have only approach other ex-pat writers out here.

How long do you live in Sweden? Are you satisfied overall?
I think I'll try then, I have nothing to lose:D

I have been here for just over a year now and live in the very south of the country, in Malmö (just a hop, skip and a bridge from Copenhagen - which is AMAZING!).

Overall yes, I am very happy here, but I did know what I was entering into as I had been visiting on and off for a year beforehand. I miss my friends and family back in the UK, but it is just a 1hr 30min flight, so not such a big deal.

Even though I am a western/northern European it did take me a while to get into the Swedish swing of things, they really do have their own quirks and some of them seemed most alien to me (I try to express some of those in my blog), but now I am settled in I love it hear.

The hardest thing is trying to penetrate the Swedsih social scene, mainly because they are VERY insular people who live very independent lives.

I have been to Zagreb, it is a beautiful city, btw!

Adrian

Hi (Cao!)

I will be moving to Stockholm in March 2012. I am from Sarajevo but living in Dublin at the moment (my husband is Irish and he just got a job in Sweden). Yes, language is the key... I am HR professional and as far as I noticed on all the vacancies fluent Swedish is required (God I wonder how long will it take me to become fluent, haven't started yet). We need to enroll to Swedish for Immigrants course asap and it seem there is a program they called Work Placement (and this is connected to learning the language). You would get entry level position in companies and I think it's the way to go (foot in the door). Good luck.
Sretno drago mi je vidjeti ljude iz mog dijela svijeta!

Overall yes, I am very happy here, but I did know what I was entering into as I had been visiting on and off for a year beforehand. I miss my friends and family back in the UK, but it is just a 1hr 30min flight, so not such a big deal.

The hardest thing is trying to penetrate the Swedsih social scene, mainly because they are VERY insular people who live very independent lives.

I have been to Zagreb, it is a beautiful city, btw!

Adrian

When a British tells you that one nation is reserved, you really have to take him seriously:D
Just joking:)
You have to come to the seaside then, you will love it.
Glad you settled well.

MajaF wrote:

Hi (Cao!)

I will be moving to Stockholm in March 2012. I am from Sarajevo but living in Dublin at the moment (my husband is Irish and he just got a job in Sweden). Yes, language is the key... I am HR professional and as far as I noticed on all the vacancies fluent Swedish is required (God I wonder how long will it take me to become fluent, haven't started yet). We need to enroll to Swedish for Immigrants course asap and it seem there is a program they called Work Placement (and this is connected to learning the language). You would get entry level position in companies and I think it's the way to go (foot in the door). Good luck.
Sretno drago mi je vidjeti ljude iz mog dijela svijeta!

O, nas yugovića ima posvuda:D
I was thinking the same thing, I started learning the language but I think It will take me at least 6 months of intense learning to be able to have a normal conversation, If not more.
Maybe we'll meet there, who knows.:)

Sretno i tebi