Looking for accomodation for a month in Feb / March 2012

Hi all,

I will be in Mauritius for a month next February / March.

I am medical student and I am going to absolve an elective attachment at SSRN Hospital in Pamplemousses.

Since the hospital probably won't be able to provide any accomodation, could somebody please give me some advice on accomodation?

From what I heard, Grand Baie / Trou aux Biches seems to be a good base?

I am looking for a small but safe place - I am travelling as a single female.

My budget is around 500 Euro / 700 USD, would be glad if it costs less, but would also be willing to pay slightly more if there is a very good option.

Thank you very much for your help!
Arcadia

Hallo,

You should register and try to contact some members of Mauritian couch surfing community.

http://www.couchsurfing.org/group.html?gid=67

They may provide you with advices.

Your budget is more than enough to rent a luxury apartment here.

Regards
Van

Arcadia,

I tried submitting a response earlier but don't see it now - apologies if this is a duplicate.

I just said goodbye to a bunch of Australian med students doing their elective in Mauritius (several of them at SSRN), so I can speak to the commute. Some of these folks were living in Grand Baie and the rest were living with me in Baie du Tombeau/Tombeau Bay.

Commuting from Grand Baie or Trou aux Biches to SSRN is very simple - you just get on the #95 bus and get off at SSRN (~40-45 minutes from Grand Baie, ~35-40 from Trou aux Biches). There's more nightlife and tourist stuff in Grand Baie, although Trou aux Biches has the edge in terms of beaches. Trou aux Biches also has fewer housing options (mostly of the more expensive sort).

The Baie du Tombeau folks lived with me at a tourist residence; their housing costs were less than half of your budget. The commute to SSRN was about the same (half the time they borrowed bikes from the proprietor to get some exercise) but it was a lot closer to Port Louis, which is helpful for seeing other parts of the island.

If you'd like a recommendation for a place in Grand Baie or Baie du Tombeau, I'd be happy to tell you where my friends were staying.

@herblanders: The same thing just happened to me - my first message didn't get through.
I am always looking for recommendations! Please lmk where your friends stayed. I am also interested in recommendations for affordable places in the other villages.

@vanvu76: My budget is 500 Euro for the whole month - most places I've seen on the internet are more expensive - do you know any cheaper ones?

My friends and I stayed at Le Capitaine Tourist Residence in Tombeau Bay; I'm living in a studio apartment there at a very good rate (240 euros a month). They're on Hostelbookers.com.

Re: the place in Grand Bay, I'm going to have to look up the exact name - I remember the location very well, but I'm blanking on the sign. Let me check my photos. :p

I think that your budget is OK. For example, flat in Flic-en-Flac is about Rs12k per month only

In the North, there is a place called Le-Saphire-Bleu and Maria hostel(400-500 Rs per day)

http://www.mauritiushub.com/accommodati … l7129.html

Again, try to log on couch surfing website and connect to Arnold, Couch Surfing ambassador here,
He is living in the North so he may have more information

Hi Alicia,

I have a furnished house for rent in port Louis

[moderated: please post in the classifieds]

Hi all,

thanks for your help and all the advice! I finally deciced to stay with Rock Sheen Villa in Trou aux Biches since I've read a lot of good reviews.

Best

Arcadia

Great

Good luck and happy stay.

Cheers
Kevin

Arcadia I saw a good one for you, but.... no problem hope u enjoy your stay there. Any kind of difficulty? please do let me know, I am near trou aux biches.

hi im staying on the ocean villa aqua marine its 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms pointe aux biches very cheap contact me on [email protected] and i will tell you more it would mean you have more money to spend and on the ocean with nice walks right outside your back gate .........and a swimming pool too.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

[moderated : please post in the housing section, thanks]

Hi!

I know it's been a while since you opened the thread but now I am thinking about living at the Rock Sheen Villa, too. Can you just tell me wether it was a good decision to stay there?

Thank you and kind regards,
Diana

Diana_E wrote:

Hi!

I know it's been a while since you opened the thread but now I am thinking about living at the Rock Sheen Villa, too. Can you just tell me wether it was a good decision to stay there?

Thank you and kind regards,
Diana

This is an old post and the poster has only 3 posts - he may  not visit the forum.
Why don't you try to contact him by private message ( which will go directly to his email)
Hopefully, he will respond .