Moving to Trinidad

Hello, I'm from Canada but planning to move to Trinidad soon. I have looked into all the work permit and visa requirements but am more curious about other things to expect. Wondering more of the daily living and living costs. The media really likes to make TT out to be violence and gangs. I have looked into this a bit but first hand knowledge would be much better. Also, what do daily/monthly cost of living run? I don't expect to have the same living as here and that is kind of what I am looking for. But it would be nice to know what to expect for electricity, gas, water, etc(normal household uses) would be roughly a month for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment or house. Also, what to expect in grocery costs and what to expect when going out for a meal or drinks. Thank you very much for any help anyone can give. Getting pretty stoked to go haha

Hi Renslip24!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

Hi hows it going? Do you or have you lived in Trinidad?

Life on an island can be more expensive than most people expect. It does depend on where you live. I find rental costs for the Port of Spain area comprable to what you'd pay in a major US city (i.e. DC, NYC, etc). It gets cheaper as you move away from the city of course, but then again, traffic here is always a mess and I'd much rather pay a little more to not have to commute! My utilities are included in my rent (water and trash collection are not paid for I believe...my stove is gas but it's super duper cheap to buy here in this oil rich nation:P  Electricity isn't too bad...it also depends on how often you run your a/c unit:P). I pay my rent in TTD.  Rents in town can be around 800-1000 USD.  Grocery bills can run high depending on how you shop.  Restaurants are expensive, most run from 20+ usd for dinner.  Drinks of course are cheap :)  Beer and rum are extremely affordable.  Trini's like to party and they like to be seen, so they are willing to pay hefty covers at clubs and for fetes.  It seems to be going up and up every year.  Not sure where they get all their expendable income from :P 

Anything you can find in the US you can find here, although for about double the cost (depending on the item...I'm thinking electronics, cars, appliances). Food is also surprisingly expensive as most of it is imported. The most surprising thing for me was how much like the States it feels here...except it is definitely an adjustment to get used to the local dialect/accent :P

I find the POS area to be no more dangerous than any major city.  You just have to be smart about how you move and look out for the petty crime that comes with city life.  I've never felt unsafe here and I'm a single white female, but then again, I've lived a lot of places though so maybe that's why.  It's best to move in groups, and be smart about where you park, hang out, etc.  I think the media over-sensationalizes the violence here, although it is something to keep in mind.  Like I said, it's big city life.   

It's fun living here. There's lots to do, primarily outdoorsy activities like hiking and the beach (those def move in groups) and lots of city life with bars and restaurants and night spots.  You might be surprised that your life style is not too different from other places.  I was :)

Hello I am from the US and considering moving to Trinidad.  Have visited twice and find the people and the climate very welcoming.

Thanks for You comment. It's very usefull   I'll move to T&T next month but Im still in doubt between Barbados and TT. Any opinion will be very welcome

Hi malliksea,

I inform you that this is an old topic.

You may start a new discussion on Trinidad and Tobago forum. :)

Thank you,

Christine
Expat.com Team

Hey, I'm from Trinidad born and raised. Nice to meet you. In terms of rental arrangements prices range from $2000 TTD to as much as $10,000 TTD depending on the area, size of house/apartment and whether it is furnished or unfurnished. Prices vary. As with anything, the media has the power to paint the picture it wants. Crime, while it is an issue isn't blatantly obvious. You don't simply walk down the streets expecting to be shot. That is extreme. It is more prevalent in areas closer to the capital city and in areas with mass produced, government housing. Don't worry. In most places it's safe to stand on the street. Moving right along...the cost of living...very high. If you buy something in the US for 2 dollars, the exchange rate is $6.44TTD to $1USD. Expect to pay more than double what your cost exchange says you should. Some form of tax will be added and you will be charged. Cost of living is a lot higher in Barbados though. Barbados is extremely expensive(My friends who attend university there say). On the bright side, the people will smile when they take your money. Standard costs of living would be about $5000TTD for everything. Lights and water are reasonable and you can drink from the pipes (high water quality). Trinidad has to be experienced in order for you to have a good understanding of life here. It is a traditional, vibrant and culturally sound nation which is nice to raise a family. xx

Barbados is way more expensive to live in than Trinidad.

I am moving as well do u have any suggestions on what things i should buy from Canada before i move to trinidad like things that will be cheaper here, like bed sheets? An iron? Plates? Or would it be more wirth it for me to buy everything once i get to trinidad? Also any tips on how to save money on groceries?