Buying property in Hungary

globalcitizenrain wrote:

Hi Guys,
Any recommendations for a good lawyer in Hungary?

https://www.expat.com/en/business/europ … s/lawyers/

If none of those work... then...

https://hu.usembassy.gov/wp-content/upl … t-2019.pdf

Thanks.

One word of advice is to have a clear translation of anything you sign.
Not sure what's up with buying these days but selling is another issue as well.
My HU husband always reads  online about buying and selling in Hungary.
He mentioned the other day that some real estate agents will have a written contract with a seller and write into the contract that they will get their cut no matter if the deal falls through or not.
Say you are selling a property and it isn't moving, the agent may get a friend to make an offer to you. Then the deal falls through and the agent legally can demand their commission, Heard about people having to get a loan to pay off their agent while still sitting on the property with no buyer. It is scary to think your own agent is only after their cut with no regard to your situation.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

....It is scary to think your own agent is only after their cut with no regard to your situation.

Totally. 

Don't believe anything they say. 

They will lie and tell people anything to get the sale.

We know from experience.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

....It is scary to think your own agent is only after their cut with no regard to your situation.

Totally. 

Lawyers and estate agents - They screw you for cash very much as prostitutes do, but pros stop taking your money when you die.

Fred wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Totally. 

Lawyers and estate agents - They screw you for cash very much as prostitutes do, but pros stop taking your money when you die.

Now you're pushing the analogy but we can play.   

You might get at least some short satisfaction from the adult entertainment worker.

Lawyers you could come out on top depending on the job in hand but real estate agents will always leave you wondering and perhaps a  slight distaste in your mouth.

fluffy2560 wrote:

but real estate agents will always leave you wondering and perhaps a  slight distaste in your mouth.

Hm.

Harsh.

But a personal story.

My father, seeking to feed his family(i.e .including me) and to get extra income, studied for and passed the real-estate agent test and qualified to become a real-estate agent. It was a lot of work for him. It was not a trivial exercise.

He showed one property, then never did it again.

He never talked about it (his generation did not talk about such things).

So I will never know what happened as he passed away a few years ago.

Kind of sad. On many levels. He could have provided information, but decided to instead remain silent.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

but real estate agents will always leave you wondering and perhaps a  slight distaste in your mouth.

Hm.

Harsh.

But a personal story.

My father, seeking to feed his family(i.e .including me) and to get extra income, studied for and passed the real-estate agent test and qualified to become a real-estate agent. It was a lot of work for him. It was not a trivial exercise.

He showed one property, then never did it again.

He never talked about it (his generation did not talk about such things).

So I will never know what happened as he passed away a few years ago.

Kind of sad. On many levels. He could have provided information, but decided to instead remain silent.

I am of course only talking about my direct experience of real estate agents in HU and Austria.  Austria was particularly distasteful.  HU ones lied directly.  Full of sharks and pathetic.

Might surprise you to know that as far as I know (and my information is quite old) that real estate agents in the UK are or were unregulated. I think they've become more professional as they've become chain stores and have corporate standards but as far as I know anyone could set up to do it.  They get regulated on financial parts but actually selling property, I think not.

We sold our Austrian house simply by having a big sign made and sticking it on the fence!  Took 3 years and the place was empty for all that time.

PM'd you Fuffy2560

SimCityAT wrote:

PM'd you Fuffy2560

Yes, replied!!

Hello All,

We found a place on Hungarianhouses.com that we are trying to purchase.

Has anybody used this company before? They provide their own lawyer, so we're trying to figure out if we need to get our own or if their lawyer is trustworthy. If you have used them please messege me with your experience, it would be so appreciated!

Also if you have a trustworthy lawyer recommendation that would be appreciated! Thank you!

Get your own lawyer, NEVER use the same one. I am sorry I can't help with recommending one, maybe some else can. But best of luck to you.

SimCityAT wrote:

Get your own lawyer, NEVER use the same one. I am sorry I can't help with recommending one, maybe some else can. But best of luck to you.

I agree, get your own lawyer.  You have to contend with a lot of misinformation.   

Ensuring the boundaries are correct - the land registry doesn't always get it right and Hungarians can be stubborn in the face of land disputes.

The utilities being available on site is vital.  In the street is not quite good enough.  It's very expensive to get connected up.

Don't believe real estate agents who tell you that utilities are available from the neighbours.  That's often an outright lie.

Water is particularly a problem usually and so is gas.  Internet depends on your level of interest and where you are (some places only mobile data is possible).

If there was a building on there before, then you should be able to see the water/gas/electricity/sewage services are there.

Probably the wrong place to post this.

Does anyone know if you can erect a largeish tent in your own garden? 

By large, I mean circa 1.5 cars width and length and about 2.5m tall.

Not a permanent structure but temporarily there longer term (<1 year).

I plan to use it as a temporary workshop for a car project.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Probably the wrong place to post this.

Does anyone know if you can erect a largeish tent in your own garden? 

By large, I mean circa 1.5 cars width and length and about 2.5m tall.

Not a permanent structure but temporarily there longer term (<1 year).

I plan to use it as a temporary workshop for a car project.

I cant see why not as its not a permanent structure. Check with the town hall?

I am almost positive that it  would be ok to have a tent. As others wrote, it isn't a permanent structure. We still live in Veszprem megye and it is acceptable if it doesn't have a concrete slab and not connetced to a permanent structure.

Livia Kretsch wrote:

I am almost positive that it  would be ok to have a tent. As others wrote, it isn't a permanent structure. We still live in Veszprem megye and it is acceptable if it doesn't have a concrete slab and not connetced to a permanent structure.

There could be a concrete slab if I erect it on a driveway or parking area.   But mostly it would be on the grass.  I think a tent type structure would be OK as it doesn't have a permanent solid roof, just UV and water resistant/windproof resistant PVC.  I'll tie it down to some bent rebar hammered into the ground. 

Neighbours might object but I will also put up some privacy screens on the fence to limit the impact.  One grumpy neighbour has already complained about me arc welding in the garden. 

I've thought about trying to get a camouflage or green workshop so it might blend in more but that size would be quite noticeable even so.   Trying to find a camo or green portable workshop at a reasonable price isn't that easy here.

I intend to take it down as soon as the car project is finished - probably by end of the summer next year.