Considering Copenhagen

I'm a 19-year-old girl considering moving to Copenhagen in the future. I can't afford it as of right now but I'm still doing research and planning a trip up there before I make a decision to move.

1. What are the "bad" neighborhoods in Copenhagen that I should avoid? I'm a petite girl in EVERY sense of the word. I'm 5'1" and weigh about 108 pounds, so naturally I'm seen as a rather "easy target" for danger.

2. From either a foreigner's or a Dane's point of view, what's Copenhagen like? What's the social life like?

3. (A silly, curious question) Is it true the average height of a Danish man is 6'2"? Like I said, I'm very petite. And I've heard many Danish women are tall and blonde. I'm a small, brunette so hopefully I'm not shunned out there!!!

4. What are some neighborhoods that are more affordable than the rest but still manage to be safe?

5. Lastly, if you could give me an idea about costs in Copenhagen such as cost of accommodation (a studio/1 bed), cost of utilities, daily living expenses (groceries, etc.), and travel within the city such as a taxi, train, or bus (monthly pass).

Please and thank you!

Hello cleochicago and welcome to Expat.com!

Why don't you browse the different discussions of the forum, this may help.;)

You may also take a look at the articles in our participative guide.
Here is the link > https://www.expat.com/en/guide/europe/denmark/.

I wish you good luck,
Harmonie.:)

Hi.

Im sorry I laughed so hard when I read your post:D It seams you think all Danes are albinos addicted  to growth hormones and steroids, just waiting to find a dark haired petit American girl whom they can attack. I know that it can be difficult to imagine how it is in other places, but be careful not to be judgemental.

So laugher aside, Copenhagen is a very safe city to live in, so is all of Denmark for that matter. There are no unsafe places to live. Crime in DK is very low compared to other places in the world, and whatever happens is spread out randomly in the country, just be clever and if you are going out at night walk with a friend or cycle if you are alone.
Copenhagen is a wonderful city to live in, it is very expensive to rent a place and public traffic is expensive too, but there are lots of cultural activities, public parks, theatres, museums, sidewalk cafes, night clubs, great shopping and soooo much more. And as mentioned before it is really safe. 

In Denmark we work in meter so I am not too sure about your measurements, but just as height is individual from person to person in America so is it in Denmark, I am quite tall at 1.75 M, I have a friend that is quite short at 1.55M, another friend of mine is 1.82M, which is rather tall, most girls are between 1,60M – 1,75M
My brother is 1,95M but hi is very tall, normally men are about 1,65M – 1,85M
And no not all Danes are blond, I myself have dark brown eyes and hair, and a rather dark complexion.  I have more friends with brown eyes than blue, and almost nobody is blond (by nature that is!!)

As I already mentioned it is very expensive to live in CPH, but more manageable in the smaller cities and suburbs outside of CPH, and it is safe everywhere, expensive areas and cheap areas.

Renting a room in a shared flat in CPH will cost you about 2000Kr – 4000Kr per month, depending on size and location. For your own flat you would pay between 3500 Kr - ?? per month, depending on size and location. Water, electricity and heat is normally included when you rent a room, in a flat it is maybe 500Kr – 1000Kr extra a month. Internet and phone is another 200Kr- 500Kr per month.
In CPH most people cycle on their bicycles when they need to get around. Public transport is rather expensive, a monthly pass (it includes, busses, trains and underground) is about 700Kr a month for the city centre and more if you need to travel further. Nobody in Denmark travel by taxi when commuting, taxis are only for going out transport or emergencies.
Going out for dinner is expensive in CPH, most people only go out on special occasions, buying groceries is from about 2000Kr per month. 
All in all you living expenses depends on your life style.

I wish you good luck with everything and keep researching.   

Regards Sarah

Ps. I live in Cape Town, South Africa and a friend of mine from Denmark asked me if I went down to the river to wash my clothing!! Needless to say I got a washing machine, she could just not imagine how it is any other places..

Don't. If you've even any money concerns, don't even consider it. It is hugely expensive - much more than we originally thought - and this is from someone living on a great expat package with all rent/bills etc paid!!

Just an afterthought: And please consider this the best advise ever given to you... If you are serious about wanting to immigrate to DK you should start learning Danish now, in DK people do speak English, but that language people use to communicate with is Danish, if you want to get a job while in DK you will have to know Danish. 
Good Luck:)