About to move to Manila

Well I'm a 39 year old divorced executive that will be moving to Manila around the 1st of 2012. Would love to meet some local expats to pass some time with. Also I'm looking for an agent to be able to show me some condos and such, if anyone knows anyone.

Hello Chip72, what a great surprised for Filipino like that youre moving to Philippines... Right now, im in Riyadh and ill be in the Philippines on March. I have a friends working in a real estate business and maybe they can help you out to get a condo on your own... Right this moment, i am welcoming you my home country, a country of hospitable people. Cheers! :-)

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've spent 6 months this year in the metro Manila area and I like it there. Now it looks like I will be going over there permanently. I'm looking to rent a apartment/condo over there so if you know any listing agents or such that would make my life a lot easier.

Hello Chip72, for the accommodation, you may also post an advert in Manila classifieds.

This may help.;)

Harmonie.:)

hi chip! i once lived in the Philippines but now reside in Muscat. There, I have a condo unit in Mandaluyong. It's near the mall and Makati..where almost all the business centers resides. With that, I suggest getting a condo near your preferences :) try visiting emarsuites.com for more info where i reside. and don't forget to send me a message if you decide to be my neighbor (i visit the Philippines every now and then):)

enjoy your stay there. :)

Chip - what area will you be working - Makati, Bonafacio, Ortigas?  Assuming your single (no kids with you). you will have a lot of options.  I am completing my first year in BGC.

Dont trust the agents, use several and play them cause they will only steer you toward the pricey units to get their commission. There are a ton of empty units as a lot of OFWs bought and now are taking the keys and finding it difficult to lease. They have way to high expectations on what unit is worth.  For a new 1 bedroom in BGC, less than 25 - 35k will be ok.  Or a great 3 br in PPT/Essensa is closer to 200k. 

If you can, stay in short-term residence (Discovery Suites) til you find area you really like. Most nicer condos require 1 year advance payment so choose wisely.

Good luck.
Don

Welcome to PHilippines! THere are many condos available in Manila and  you don't need an agent for that. You need to know first if what place you are going to stay. I do know someone who own a condominium. If you like, I will be happy to help you. Have a good day!:)

Thanks to everyone's comments so far. My office is located on the International Airport. I would love to be close to work but the only area I know of around there that is close is the Multi-National housing area. I like Makati I just don't like the traffic, but not much you can do about that. I'm really open to location as long as the condo is right. If I had to list areas right now I would think Makati or the area near Mall of Asia. I like Global City but I think that drive will probably be too long with rush hour traffic. Anyways, the move is officially full on. I will be coming over around the 1st of the year. I will be staying in a hotel until I find a place. So anyone who is or knows a listing agent that wants the business and is good and representing expats, have them contact me so I can get the selection process started now.

Chip72 wrote:

Thanks to everyone's comments so far. My office is located on the International Airport. I would love to be close to work but the only area I know of around there that is close is the Multi-National housing area. I like Makati I just don't like the traffic, but not much you can do about that. I'm really open to location as long as the condo is right. If I had to list areas right now I would think Makati or the area near Mall of Asia. I like Global City but I think that drive will probably be too long with rush hour traffic. Anyways, the move is officially full on. I will be coming over around the 1st of the year. I will be staying in a hotel until I find a place. So anyone who is or knows a listing agent that wants the business and is good and representing expats, have them contact me so I can get the selection process started now.

Hi Ma'am,:)
as early as now, Im welcoming you to our place.
definitely, your decision to move in Manila would be one of the great decisions that you ever made.There's a lot of condos near your work, so probably, nearer place would be less hassle, the fact that it's traffic during rush hours ;). There's a lot of links over the internet to look for the best place. I could also refer my schoolmate who is currently working in a real estate.Hope to see you here! Cheers!!! :)

Chip72 wrote:

If your office is close to NAIA, then Bonafacio is a better choice than Makati as you can take the secondary road, and its about 45 min on an average day. My wife came back on Friday at 4pm and it took 3 hours to get to the Fort, but thats holiday traffice.

Other options are to try Mierville and further down SLEX to Alabang.  Can rent a nice house for same price in Makati. 

If you single, would stick to Bonafacio though.

things depend on your budget...I also am an expat and I hunted condos for various times. I have like 4 different agents, if you are interested I can pass you their numbers. for an expat I don't think any area either than, makati, fort bonifacio, ayala alabang or maybe ortigas is suitable.newest european standart condos are in the fort. however their sizes are remarkably smaller than the ones in makati... just let me know your budget and expectations and I will suggest you the buildings... ooo yeah, I know them by layout, name and size. lotsa condo hunting to do in manila.

Hi Chip72,

Trust everything's well with you. So have you found a secure and comfortable place to stay in Manila? Be well

Yes I have settled in quite nicely over in the Fort! I love living there.

welcome to manila Chip, Nice to meet you...

Any questions just ask chap

Hi try mckinley Hill in taguig..near fort bonifacio global city. its like almost less than 30 minutes travel time going to the airport.

Chip72 wrote:

Yes I have settled in quite nicely over in the Fort! I love living there.

Good on you! The Fort is indeed a nice place to settle into. I am glad to hear you are adjusting smoothly.

Check out High Street for a variety of well-known bars and restaurants. New Orleans and Italiani's are two of my favorites. The Market Restaurant has very nice salmon...yummy

Enjoy your stay in the Philippines.

Life is good.

JB