Hey ladies, good hairdresser/salon recommendation?

Because of C-19 my guy isn't taking on any new clients right now.

Lucas Kavanagh wrote:

I have heard a lot about the A-list Salon & Spa in Budapest. It seems to be a well-known beauty salon there.

We used to go there.   The staff were ex-cruise ship workers so could speak reasonable English.  But I am not sure anyone really speaks English there now as the turnover of staff seemed reasonably fast.  Willing to be corrected.

Hey Lucas,

It depends on what part of town you are in.
There are some really great hair dressers on the Pest side around the Oktogon.
I lived on the Buda side and they were always about double the price and required an appointment.
Let me know and I have a great guy that is very reasonable and professional.
Best regards,

Robert

fluffy2560 wrote:
Lucas Kavanagh wrote:

I have heard a lot about the A-list Salon & Spa in Budapest. It seems to be a well-known beauty salon there.

We used to go there.   The staff were ex-cruise ship workers so could speak reasonable English.  But I am not sure anyone really speaks English there now as the turnover of staff seemed reasonably fast.  Willing to be corrected.

Went to A-list ONCE. The women was, OK. I'm an ex- hairdresser who has cut literally thousands of heads of hair and worked for a bit under the likes of Jerry Tyler in S.Ca.
I'm talking about just about working for free just to be in the same room with some of these stylists and have them except you to sweep up their floor.
It actually cost me to work there! Cost more to have a babysitter, drive even on my day off for madatory cutting classes under a master and to always wear the most trendy styles to work just to sweep floors, wash hair, fold and wash towels and serve that white wine to clients, even asked to stay after hours just to rinse hair off a clinet for a major sylist for free.

Not impressed all that much with any cut I've had in Budapest in over 12 years.
Well a few cuts here and there but not consistant at all.
In fact I'm suppose to get a cut fromm a women here next week,Trying to figure out how not to hurt her feeling but dang last cut I had my husband redo the back and I blened in the sides with one working eyeball. Guess they do not teach about C sections here and I'm not talking about having a baby!
Never going back to her again. Need to figure out if I shoud go in person and tell her her cuts suck or just ring her up and hope she understands what I say about a huge cancellation.
Gave her 4 tries...That's more then enough.(How can a cut leave several tags on the neckline?)
She was lucky I was more then half blind all those times.She is very good at styling and hiding her bad cuts, as soon as you wash and style at home you can see the damage.
It's bad when you pay good money and see that a flowbee home hairdressing machine would do a better job.
My friend at Brush Salon in the 6th Luis is good, due to some eyesight issues I had and the C-19 thing I went closer to home for some trims. Have to ring him up again .
I wish I could get my husband to watch some vids on cutting a decent Bob because I knw he has the ey for cutting.
Went to several,"fancy pants" salons in Budapest in the past, Toni and Guy, Hajos, A big name one on Andrassy Ut, can't even remember the name now starts with a Z,some guy in the 5th who really cracked me up and also freaked me out at the same time. He ran his own shop and when you layed your head back to get a wash, you could see the nude female paintings on the ceiling. He was trying to show them to clients for a friend of his...WTH??
The guy who was so bad that all I could do was either laugh in his chair like a maniac or cry. In either case in front of the entire staff I put my hat on my head before I walked out. I chose to laugh which caused him to look at me like I lost my mind.It was worst then if I allowed a 4 year old to cut my hair, seriosuly bad.
Just too many messy sloppy cuts to remember.
The women in the 6th who seemed overly,"friendly" to me and then stopped in the middle of my cut literally 3 times to answer her pahone and chat and then some dude walked in to sell clothing and she stopped once again to look at his wares and buy something while I sat in the chair. She lost her way , I looked mental after that cut, the most important cut because I was off for a fmaily reunion and wanted to look my best.
I wish I had longer arms because I know how to cut a basic Bob ,like English 101, every stylist should know how to cut a Bob before they can call themselves a hairdresser.
Like I've mentioned so many times, thinking about buying a few wigs!
Used to go to a guy who was a master stylist here, he had his own salon on Vaci utca . He closed down and fixed up his flat with about half the space for a salon.
He cut great but sometimes got an attitude. His assistant was nice but left to have a baby. He actually had his teen age son wash his clients hair during one summer.
I didn't like that at all, not for his prices.
In any case, I leave my shears close by after every cut I get here because I can always find a tag or two.
Doesn't matter how much I spend either.
When the stylist doesn't offer a mirror to see thier work or rushes you out, you had better look twice before paying out.
Once at Hajos salon they "dumped" me on a lesser experienced guy to cut my hiar.
They never called to inform me that my girl was on holiday, they just let me show up and take whoever was available.
This guy did my hair once and it was decent. Next time I was to see my girl she once again was on holiday, I thought dang she must be making bank to be off to Spain so often. Never had an issue with her, tipped well and all was cool so why did she brush me off like that so many times?
Well I was given to the same guy.
I swear on a stack of Bibles he had me sitting in the chair for over 90 mins for a simple cut.
I think he practiced every cut her knew, all 3 cuts, on me! Looked Ok at first, I though great, I'm done then he cuts more, I finally have a dog eared looking short Bob that looked like a skull cap rather then anything flaterring.
Next vist my girl was gone again.. Was given to a women who did a nice job but I noticed that guy giving the same old tired boring skull cut Bob to some poor women who looked to be in her 80's. I though it was so stupid that I never went back to Hajos again.
They didn't even reduce the price of a cut from that of a senior stylist to a jr. stylist. I think they were messing around because I was a foreigner.
That's all, maybe I should just learn to cut my own hair.
It's like a doctor who can not operate on themselves.
It's hard when you had the best and then have the worst.

Last week we wandered down a st. in the 8th district.
I noticed a sign across from us that said,"Hajas" I used to go to his salon in the 5th but gave up on getting my girl and wasn't happy with all the stand -in's they brought to cut my hair.
Well, crazy me, I followed 3 people through the gate then into another gate to discover it wasn't yet another one of his salons but a beauty supply house he runs as well.
Actually I was a bit surprised that the clerk and Hajas both greeted me as I entered the shop although it was full of stylists buying products.
Don't think they expected an air headed American to just wander in on them.
I asked if they sold the products I use, they don't then just wandered on out only to have to wait to be buzzed out of the gates from inside the supply house.
I was thinking as I went in that maybe it was another salon and i could maybe find another stylist but no luck on that.
I was actually glad I had on a straw hat so no one could actually see the state of my hair.
My husband waited on the walkway frever for me to get buzzed out of the building, and said, "You really are a blonde". ( Actaully sort of true) He is funny at times.
I could of asked any of these stylists about going into their shop but was put off by my own mistake and boldness of just walking on in without an invite.