Learning Hungarian

Hi all
I've just had my first Hungarian language lesson here in Australia with a tutor. It was really fun and she says my pronunciation is great!

Are locals in Budapest usually happy to slow down to help language novices like me?!

I don't want to rely completely on English. I want to actually learn the language as much as I can.

Your shared experiences would be gratefully received!

Steph :)

I have found Budapest a really understanding place to make a hamfisted atempt at speaking Hungarian.  I live out in the sticks and my Hungarian is functional but not great and the folk we live around have no English and they are still very patient and freindly :D

Stephanie99 wrote:

Are locals in Budapest usually happy to slow down to help language novices like me?!

Sure, teaching foreigners a few words is always fun at parties :-)

You should be able to find a language exchange partner over internet telephony, albeit the time zone difference might complicate matters some.

Gabor

The bad news and the good news.

Happy to slow down: No, never!
Happy to help: Usually, yes.

Some people learn languages just by listening and speaking - quickest. Others need a proper understanding of the grammar before being confident in speech. I'm of the latter variety. And understanding Hungarian grammar is, well, either a labour of love or of torment.

The good news is: some foreigners have been known to learn to speak Hungarian quite well. Allegedly!

Constant practise can help.