Where to register when moving to Edinburgh..???

Hello Good day,

I'm moving over from Holland to Edinburgh shortly and I called the council but they weren't very helpful.

My question is where to register when you move into Edinburgh from a different country.

I hope somebody can help me with this one, thanks in advance.

Cheers, Daan

Hi Daan,
it's a bit of a vague question. What is it you're looking to register for?
Alex

Heya Alex, I'm starting to think you guys don;t have such a thing as a townregister that everybody who lives in that town has to be in, see it as a subscription on living somewhere.

So if I would move into a city in Scotland I don't have to go to a government office or something to say, he hello I'm Daan i would like to live here...? =D

That would be to easy..

Not really, no. Once a year you will receive a form to register for the electoral role, but it is optional to fill this out. Council tax is associated with you and your residential address, but that isn't setup until after you move into a flat/house and is very easy to do.

Now with that said, I am from Canada. It might be different for EU residents, but I've never heard of it. I hope that helps. Any other questions regarding this or anything else, feel free to post again.
Alex

Hi Daan,

I moved from NL to Scotland in June, and I can confirm that you don't have to register at the city council. There is no such thing as the 'gemeente-register' in Scotland. Like mid_alex already said: you can register at the electoral roll, which will help you to improve your credit rating. But it's not mandatory.

Hope this helps.