Request for advice from the Forum Members [Renting Flat]

Dear Forum Members

I have found this forum and the always supportive Expat Members on this forum to be very informative and gracious in their advice.

I ill be shifting to Bahrain in December and thus would like to your advice on the following:

1.  Are the community Swiming pools and gyms that are advertised in almost every ad of rental apartment, usually well-maintained, hygenic and clean? Are their usually seperate timmings for women, men and children, to use the swiming pool facility?

2.  Does the insertion of Diplomtic Clause in the rental contract allows the expat tenant to vacate the premises without any rental liability for the period he / she has not stayed in the flat? Are all expats eligible for this caluse?

3.  For CPR application, is it mandatory to attach the electricity bill which has to be in the name of the expat applicant? If so, does this mean that CPR is not required for tenenacy contract?

4.  is the renatl amount quoted on most websites 'final' or is there is a margin of bargaining? if so, how much is the margin , for eg. for a rent asked at BD 400, will it be reasonable to start bargaining at BD 300 and go ahead from there?   

Thank You

Ali

Hi Ali Imran and welcome to the forum,

1. For the swimming pool, as far as the maintenance is concerned, it's extremely variable from a compound to another. Generally, they are outdoors and visible from outside so I haven't seen separate timings for women so far. My suggestion is to mention precisely what you are looking for to the real estate agents you will be in touch with. They are usually aware of the particularities in the compounds.

2. Can you explain what the "Diplomatic clause" is about ? I don't know about it and my Bahraini friends were not aware of it either.

3. For the CPR application, it's usually your employer that takes care of the paper work. If I remember correctly, you actually need a CPR to open your account with the Municipality for electricity and water. so you can't have the invoice in the first place ^^

4. Of course, there is room for negotiation. According to my experience, try to know how long the accommodation was empty. If it's vacant since a long time the room is obviously much bigger.
You can try to bargain but 15 to 20% seem more reasonable then 25%. Again, it depends on the landlord and how "hungry" he is...

Feel free to come back to us if you have any further question and have a look at the previous topics you will find a lot of precious information.

Yours

Olivier

Dear Olivier

Thank you for the comprehensive generous reply.

I did some research over the internet and found the following abt the Diplomatic Clause

"a diplomatic clause exempts the tenant or company from contract fulfillment in the case that the tenant is permanently withdrawn from Bahrain, in the case that the tenant is forced or chooses to leave the island suddenly".

The above clarifies that diplomatic caluse is not a safe-guard from paying rent for the remaining months of the contract if the tenant wishes to leave the premises before the end of contract, untill unless he / she is leaving the country.

So, my understanding of the situation is that if I sign a contract of one year for a flat, but wish to leave the flat after just 2 months stay, I will have to pay the 10 months rent ?

Kindly shed some light on this.

Thanks

Hi Ali, I think you have the understanding of the Diplomatic Clause the wrong way round. I have such a clause in my tenancy agreement for the villa I live in. Basically, you sign a rental agreement, usually 2 years, but have the option to terminate with one month notice. Then you are not liable for the outstanding duration of the lease. So, rent a place for a year, leave after 6 months, with nothing owed. As long as you give the required period of notice, usually one month. Hope this helps. Good luck with the move.

[Moderated: free ads are not allowed on the forum]

Dear Bartowel

Thank You for your reply. it has clarified many a things.