Changes To citizenship Requirement

In the course of my enquiries at Migraciones, I have been informed that the date used to calculate when you may apply for citizenship has been changed.

Previously it was commenced from the day you received residency. It has now been changed so that it is 3 years from the date you enter Paraguay to apply for residency that you may apply for citizenship.

I have recently been discussing citizenship requirements with senior Migraciones staff.

They state that the in country time requirement for citizenship is..

After gaining residency, you must visit Paraguay yearly during the 3 years qualifying time for applying for naturalisation. There is no minimum time requirement for each visit but recommended 15 days per visit.

Time requirements are not documented clearly in the law, but this is the customary practice.

asantander wrote:

I have recently been discussing citizenship requirements with senior Migraciones staff.

They state that the in country time requirement for citizenship is..

After gaining residency, you must visit Paraguay yearly during the 3 years qualifying time for applying for naturalisation. There is no minimum time requirement for each visit but recommended 15 days per visit.

Time requirements are not documented clearly in the law, but this is the customary practice.

This is not surprising as perhaps things are beginning to tighten up.

I have a question: What if you are not worried about naturalization for now? Do you still have to spend time in country every year in order to retain permanent residency? What would happen if you had perm residency and did not enter the country for 3-5 years? (OK, that's 3 questions....)

If you have permanent residence, currently there is not a problem with being absent from Paraguay for 3-5 years if you are not trying to qualify for citizenship.

I am aware of people that have been away from Paraguay for nearly 10 years and returned without problems.

I helped late last year a fellow South African that came back with a "cedula" that was issued back in 1984.
Told the local police station a nice story about she living with us and "donating" something was no problem...(so as to obtain that Vida y Risidencia papaer) That included we had it all done in 2 days. She flew back 2 days later and I went a month later and got her brand new cedula.

End of story.

I applied for permanent residency Dec 2010 and received it April 2011. I plan to return next month to get my Identity Card. I was told that I must not leave Paraguay for more than 3 months during the 3 years until citizenship and passport are granted. I have also heard that one need not be present in Paraguay during this 3 year period. Which is correct? Thank you in advance. Hank

Well, seems PY keeps moving the goal posts. A few of the major issues in the air are:

1. To get citizenship you must not leave the country for more than 3 months?
2. Citizenship revoked if you're out of the country for > 3 years?
3. Military service required?

Seems like Uruguay is a better option even though the process takes longer.