We're booked and ready - Arriving in February!

Hi everyone

My Hungarian-born partner and I are arriving in Budapest on Feb 12th.
We have an apartment sorted already - Szent István körút 5 - which is also exciting. Seems like a good area...?

We are both on paid leave (on half-pay) from work and planning on travelling, catching up with family and enjoying life in Budapest.

If you have any tips on things like travel (in and out of Hungary), eating out, transport, safety, money, where's nice to go in cold weather when we arrive (being Australian, I have never seen snow in a city, only on the ski-fields!!), what we might do with ourselves for 8 months... anything, really!

I am a high school teacher (English & Drama) and my partner Bert works for a bank in IT management. I wouldn't mind doing some tutoring work or even babysitting, but I am keen to keep options open so as to allow us to travel as much as possible.

We cannot get visas here for our extended stay - we must apply when we get to Budapest. The advice from the embassy here was to get the "visa for the purposes of family reunification".

Would love to hear from you and hopefully meet some of you there in Feb 2012 if you can brave the cold with me!

:)

Hi Stephanie, I wish you all the best in your new life!;)

Do not hesitate to browse the forum for your questions.

Harmonie.:)

I live in a street off Szent István körút. Yes it's a good area. If you're actually overlooking the körút you'll be able to watch the bright yellow trams go by - exciting!

The street is good for access to many shops, restaurants, bars. At the south end, next to Keleti station, is West End shopping complex, which is huge. You're also in walking distance of central Pest areas like Szabadság square and the Basilika. As you surely know, Margit Island is a short stroll away across the bridge, or keep walking and you're in Buda.

Be sure to check we haven't all frozen solid before you arrive!

It's a lovely spot to live! And I think you're arriving at the perfect time - you'll get to see a bit of winter and snow and then everything will thaw out over March and April into glorious Spring.

My partner and I are Aussies too - keep us updated on your arrival, and maybe we can meet up for a drink when you arrive.

Happy travelling!!

PS. Bring vegemite - it can be hard to find here :):)

Harmonie wrote:

Hi Stephanie, I wish you all the best in your new life!;)

Do not hesitate to browse the forum for your questions.

Harmonie.:)

Thank you, Harmonie! :)

angol wrote:

I live in a street off Szent István körút. Yes it's a good area. If you're actually overlooking the körút you'll be able to watch the bright yellow trams go by - exciting!

The street is good for access to many shops, restaurants, bars. At the south end, next to Keleti station, is West End shopping complex, which is huge. You're also in walking distance of central Pest areas like Szabadság square and the Basilika. As you surely know, Margit Island is a short stroll away across the bridge, or keep walking and you're in Buda.

Be sure to check we haven't all frozen solid before you arrive!

Thank you so much for the feedback, we are both happy with the location! We will no doubt be doing lots of walking around taking photos - both keen photographers. :)

Margle wrote:

It's a lovely spot to live! And I think you're arriving at the perfect time - you'll get to see a bit of winter and snow and then everything will thaw out over March and April into glorious Spring.

My partner and I are Aussies too - keep us updated on your arrival, and maybe we can meet up for a drink when you arrive.

Happy travelling!!

PS. Bring vegemite - it can be hard to find here :):)

Awesome feedback, thank you!
I was putting Vegemite on toast yesterday and wondered how we would go finding it there... I'll pack a big jar!!
Anything else you can think of regarding what to bring (I posted about medicines etc on the Health forum - you may be able to help!), please message me!

Would love to meet up, I am a bit scared about getting there with minimal language and experiencing a bit of culture shock, so familiar voices will be great!

Thanks again :)
Steph