Butter substitutes

I've recently moved to Hungary and have been trying different spreads but not found anything like the Lurpak spreadable slightly salted I used to buy in UK. I just wondered what other expats are spreading on their bread?

fidobsa wrote:

I've recently moved to Hungary and have been trying different spreads but not found anything like the Lurpak spreadable slightly salted I used to buy in UK. I just wondered what other expats are spreading on their bread?

I use Delma Light as it is low fat. I cannot say it's the best.

Thanks for the reply. As it happens I got some Interspar leaflets in the letter box yesterday and when I looked at them they were advertising the Lurpak spreadable  on offer so I got some today!:)
They are tiny 200 g cartons and it is well hidden at  the top of the chiller (I failed to find it and had to ask) but it will be a lot better than the tasteless products I've been buying.:top:

fidobsa wrote:

I just wondered what other expats are spreading on their bread?

For myself: home made jams and soft cheeses (usually goat) from local markets.

Not much of a bread on bread person, but I prefer to consume locally manufactured organic butter when I do.

fidobsa wrote:

Thanks for the reply. As it happens I got some Interspar leaflets in the letter box yesterday and when I looked at them they were advertising the Lurpak spreadable  on offer so I got some today!:)
They are tiny 200 g cartons and it is well hidden at  the top of the chiller (I failed to find it and had to ask) but it will be a lot better than the tasteless products I've been buying.:top:

Delma Light is pretty rubbish actually. It's not very good on toast. It separates out and it's awful for cooking. But it's got a relatively low fat content and it's better than nothing.

If you think Lurpak is hard to get, try and get 2% fat Greek Yoghurt (without any flavourings or sugar whatsoever in it). They sell it in Aldi in Austria, but not in Aldi Hungary. I went to a Greek supermarket in Erd and they said there's no demand for it so they stopped selling it.