Thai law that restricts jobs foreginers can do

Does anyone kindly tell me whether a free-lance translator like me can work in Thailand?
Is it prohibited for foreigners to be engaged in translation to make a living in Thailand?

Hi and welcome to the forum takemitsu1957!

I don't think it is "prohibited"
Where are you from and what languages do you translate?

Regards
Armand

Doing language translations does not appear to be prohibited occupation but you will need a work permit to be legal.

Translation it isnt prohibited, however you should get a work permit and a non-b visa to work otherwise if they catch you without youll be in lots of trouble

Hello.
Thank you for the responses.

I am now living in Japan.
Since I found a Thai girl for a candidate for my new wife through a certain online dating site and things seem to be much cheaper in Chiang Mai than in Japan, I am planning to move to Chiang Mai rather than inviting her to Japan in the case we get really married.

I make a living by receiving orders for English to Japanese translation via internet mainly from foreign clients. Therefore I can continue this work regardless of the place to live.

Many people say that I need a work permit to work in Thailand.
But is it still necessary even if I get married with a Thai girl?

And one more very important question is my monthly budget for spending (including house rent expense, repayment of automobile loan, foods and cloths, etc) is 15,000 bahts at the least and 24,000 at the most.

How will it be like to live in Chiang Mai with such a limited means?

Even if married you need a work permit because you are still a foreigner.

Have you checked the visa requirements for remaining in Thailand if married.  Just being married is not enough to ensure a long term visa.

Working on the internet is a grey area but so you should be able to fly under the radar if you keep your mouth shut and not openly talk about you work.  Working on the internet is hard to prove.

Thai people live on much less so if you can live the lifestyle of a local then you will have no problem.

Thank you for info.
I really appreciate it.

Yes you need a work permit to work legally in Thailand, even as a freelancer. One route is to get a legal teaching job and then freelance in your spare time although this is still not strictly legal.

The work permit isn't going to be the issue, it's going to be the visa...and unless you meet certain requirements that isn't going to happen.

Thailand is not very long-term visitor friendly.

You can check the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for specific visa requirements, but as one poster pointed out, unlike other countries, marriage to a Thai national isn't sufficient for a visa.

I've been married to a Thai national for a few years (I work out of Thailand) and have no legal visa status.  I keep coming in and out...and sometimes that means a border run (or several if it's a long vacation).

Good luck.

One more question.
How much will I have to pay in total to be able to comfortably use the internet in Chiang Mai?
I will use not only emails (with files attached in many cases)  but also skype to make inexpensive phone calls to foreign countries.

Depends on whether you're paying for it in your hotel or mansion (residence apartment), or it's free.

If not...and you have a residence and want broadband, figure about 500baht a month for 5Mb speed.

Wow! I understand.
Thank you very much for the perfect info.