USA Drivers License

Hi,

I have a New York license and need to transfer it over to an SA one to finance a car I want to get. I know that overall you can just transfer it over but I just wanted to find out if any Americans have gone through the process? Overall our licenses are for automatic cars and not manual and want to see if anyone had any problems because of this?

Thanks!!
Katie

Hi Katie,

I am an American living in South Africa for about 3 years and I have never had to change my license. I have purchased a car and had it insured without any problems. I am not sure about financing. I think you can get an international licence at AA (South African version of AAA) for like 10-20 USD with your valid US license. An international license should do the trick

Good Luck,

Sierra

Hi Sierra,

Thanks for responding.

Apparently your license is technically invalid here after a year but I guess if you go in and out they can't really prove how long you've been a permanent residence.

Just in case anyone else is interested...the changing process landed up being easy...just had to go to the police department and sign an affidavit saying I am now a permanent resident from whatever the last date I came back into this country and had to bring a print out from my states DMV saying what my license means (so I had a Class D license in NY and had to bring a print out of its description). Got my SA license the same day!

hi sirya

can u help me?

Hi Nebiyu Lera,

Can you please introduce yourself ?

Is there any thing that we can do ? How can we help ? :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Dear Maximilien

I am an Ethiopian living in South Africa for about 2 years and I have never had to change my license. I have purchased a car and had it insured without any problems.