Successful job interview in the Virgin Islands

Hi,

passing a job interview in the Virgin Islands can be a stressful moment, especially you are not familiar with the cultural and professional codes of the country.

How to successfully pass a job interview in the Virgin Islands ?

What happens during the interview ?

What are the do's and don'ts during a job interview in the Virgin Islands : what to say or not, what to wear, how to behave ?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience with us !

Julie

I really can't address the job situation in the Virgin Islands as I came here retired and I don't work.  As of this time however, the job market in the Virgin Islands is rather bleak. The Gov't laid off 500 state workers on June 30th and are laying off another 800 Dec. 1st. They have stated that layoffs might continue into 2012.  Additionally, state workers had to take a 8% cut in their salaries.
There are a few available jobs: bartenders and waitstaff for resorts, a few teaching jobs and some per diem nursing jobs. Not much else and the non-professional jobs are very low paying in the VI. Nothing like in the US mainland.
I've heard that Puerto Rico isn't much better either right now during the recession.

If anyone wants to come to the VI, live and work, it would be best to try to secure a job prior to moving here and come for a specified period of time to see if you like it. I think things will improve when the economy gets better.

Thanks for your contribution DogloverfromVI!

Harmonie.:)