Successful job interview in Bahrain

Hi,

passing a job interview in Bahrain can be a stressful moment, especially you are not familiar with the cultural and professional codes of the country.

How to successfully pass a job interview in Bahrain ?

What happens during the interview ?

What are the do's and don'ts during a job interview in Bahrain : what to say or not, what to wear, how to behave ?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience with us !

Julie

Information on this topic will go along to help the new members and those who are about to relocate.
Thanks alot for your guide...

Ok...I'll give you my take on the process, and this is my personal experience.

I've had three interviews since arriving in Bahrain one informal and two formal.  The informal one was held in a office where the guys interviewing me were very relaxed about it all, smoking and having a laugh and I was there for two and a half hours.  I wore a pair of jeans and a smart shirt as I knew the format in advance, in any other situation I'd normally wear formal attire, just to be on the safe side.  The interview I think went well but it was for a future role as they don't actually need me right now so it's a waiting game on that one.  The interviewers were Bahraini men and informal as it was, respect, courtesy and sensitivity to the culture is vital for success.  If for some reason, for example they might have a strong accent, you don't understand what the question is, politely ask them to repeat it and listen closely, your brain will fill in the blanks...

I've had few dealings with Bahraini women and am still unsure as to whether to shake their hands or not, some do some don't so I err on the side of caution and wait till the hand is offered before offering mine in return.  If you display arrogance, disinterest in the culture or the sensitivities of the people you're dealing with, you shouldn't have gone in the first place. 

Knowing the content of your CV inside-out is also vital, don't put anything in it that you cannot elaborate on or go into in more depth.  Put your strengths, qualifications, and previous relevant experience at the beginning of your CV, most CV readers lose interest after the first page so it's important to make an impression early. 

The second and third interviews I've had were in the past week and they also went well, these were more formal.  I wore a suit, did a lot of preparation prior to the interview and that helped a lot.  knowing about the company, the business and the culture of the company is very good to know, if it's a family run business then things might be different to those of a larger company.  Get your information in order, do practice interviews, I do this every time I get called and it helps to prepare you for the hardest questions.  Never be negative in an interview, but do be realistic, everyone has had their ups and downs in their worklife, don't make it sound like you've had a fairytale career to date...they won't believe you...and then you're in trouble.  They need to feel that you can be trusted so I think what I call 'Guarded Honesty' is the best policy, be truthful, but don't give everything away.  Be respectful to whoever it is that is interviewing you, and be on your guard at all times.  Some interviewers can throw in trick questions and it's important not to panic, take a deep breath, think about it for a little bit and give them an answer...that might be: "I don't have an answer for that question, but I'll find out" which is much better than trying and failing to bluff your way out of it.  These were expat men (Irish and English) and being Irish myself it made it easier as the language barrier was removed. 

I'll add more later.

Thanks for your contribution Hag.:one

No Problem Harmonie:)

...to add to my earlier post:D

Find out everything you can about the job, the company, and if possible, the personnel that are going to be interviewing you.  Study the information well, approach it as if it's the most important exam of your life and know your subject matter upside down and backwards. 

Have questions prepared and don't be afraid to ask them.  Most jobs have a set of specific requirements but often I find that similar jobs have very different nuances from company to company and you could profit from knowing about these differences, especially if there's something in it you have experience of and can demonstrate as being of benefit to the company.  The one question I would always try to ask, or at least a version of it: "What specifically would be required & expected of me if I were to be given this role? This can lead them in a direction of your chosing if they say something that you can capitalise on, or you can just say nothing, either way you'll at least appear that you're interested.

Don't bring up the subject of money as that is something that they will discuss at the right time for them and the better you perform at interview the better the chance of you getting a decent salary. 

With regard to dress code for women...Dress conservatively, a business suit with a pants rather than a skirt would be better, cover your arms and legs at the very least, and don't overdo the make-up, you want to look as good as possible without looking like you're going to a nightclub:D

For men business attire is probably best unless you're specifically told not to and even then, be mindful that people will judge you in every way.  If you're going for an office job, look the part, a t-shirt and jeans or shorts and a pair of flip flops just won't cut it.  If you're going to work as a Skateboard shop attendant, I doubt that a sharp suit will work.

On the job front, it's not so easy to get work here unless you actually know someone who can help you out, at least that seems to be the way of things here.  I can say the the second and third interviews mentioned in my post above were based on an ad I posted myself both here and on another website, but the first interview I had was purely down to a person I know doing me a favor.

If you have a job before you come over then no problem as all the other stuff will have been covered.  The availability of Visas is another thing to be especially aware of before ever leaving to come to Bahrain.  For me it was simple, being Irish afford me the luxury of coming into the country and being granted a three month visa without any issues.  It's Definitely NOT the same for everyone.  Check out the government websites for relevant information & google is your friend;)

I'll try to think of some more advice and post it later or tomorrow...I think I'm on a bit of a roll!!:D

Thank so much hag!
Your not just on a bit of a roll.you seem to have given much interesting information.
Thanks so much.

Thanks BabaJ.

On the subject of arrival to start work. NEVER give your passport to anyone...EVER!! Even if you're threatened.  Giving it away gives your employer a level of control over you that you don't want them to have. 

Know your rights, find them online and know them well. 

Check the ligitimacy of the agent or company you're offered a job by, dubious operators are everywhere and will exploit, use & abuse you given half a chance. Protect yourself and if possible put some money aside so that if you need to leave in a hurry you can.

Build a support network and have reliable allies that you can trust if you need something.

Most reputable companies will include you in their health insurance schemes, this should be included in the contract of employment.

The contract:

Read it thoroughly, three or four times. Question anything you don't understand or are unsure about and ask advice of someone that knows aout these things, a second opinion can make a difference. Make utterly sure you're not signing your life away...literally! If there's no contract before traveling then you could find yourself in a world of trouble on arrival.  Make sure that there is a diplomatic clause that allows unimpeded travel should civil unrest render working or living here impossible.

And finally, good luck! I really like Bahrain, it's a bit small and sometimes there isn't a lot to do, but the people are friendly, the food is good, it's never really cold, it's almost always sunny and you can have a good life here.

Hag:cool:

Thanks once again.!!!

Can you please give me pointers on how to be prepared for a post of software engineer..what all questions should I be expecting..will it be technical?

Congratulations