Bank account in India

Hi all,
I have only met dead ends when trying to open a bank accout in India since I have Canadian citizenship. It seems, I need a proof of permananent residence in India to acquire any utility services as well as bank account. This I.D. is based on your name in Ration card which you get by having your name in voyer's list, both are prohibited for a foreign national as I understand. I hope I am wrong and may be someone can help further. I am a Canadian with Indian origin.

No worries Sir, Cheer up. Barclay is the only bank will help to open saving account. Just contact the near branch and approach them

Here you go:
http://www.barclays.in/consumer_banking … ngs_ac.htm

Thank you for your suggestion.

You can also apply for a residence permit through the local F.R.R.O (Foreigners Regional Registration Office) and see if that helps. You have to register there if you intend to stay more than 180 days anyway.

Bank accounts are the best way to store a person's savings in the safest possible way. Not only saving the money, banks also give option to its users to earn an amount of interest from the savings in their accounts. But there are certain documents required to open bank account and the customer needs to follow some easy steps to get an account. Bank accounts are generally of two types, personal savings account and business or proprietors' bank account.
[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Hope you have a OCI / PIO card with you, this is not a difficult process at all and let me know if you required any assistance

Hello jaison0133.

Just to note that this thread is dated 2011.

Thank you for helping. ;)

Aurélie