Wanna be friends? :)

Hey all,

It's really my dream to meet with native British, American, or French people. I live in Budapest, but I want to move to England or to France... I would love to make friends. If you are interested, please, write :)

Hi Eszter18 from budapest.
I hope you do not mind me writing to you.I come from England and Iam interested in visiting Budapest.If you could tell me about Budapest from the view point of someone who lives their I could tell you about UK.The guide books only tell you so much.
I hear Budapest is a party town -very lively. Is this true? Also a very scenic city-maybe a bit like Paris.I guess from your age you  have not been to other countries? Am I right? Write to me and let me know.With all your brothers and sisters you must keep busy.My name is John-hope I hear back from you.

I would say Budapest is a huge and diverse city :-)

You want scenic, you go to scenic parts: by the Danube or up the Buda hills for wonderful views, or up close to historic buildings, even inside because many of them are public like museums, public offices or the Parliament.

You want nightlife you go in those areas, and obviously at night :-)

Then other parts are peaceful and quiet, yet others dangerously crime ridden, and many places just plain poor and sad.

It really is what you make of it.

Hi,

I am Eszter, I live in Budapest, Hungary. I would love to meet some British people in Hungary :) let me know if you would like to meet up

Best,

ST

What's all the excitement about the British people?! ;):P
How about us awesome Aussies?!!

Hope you meet lots of cool people.
When is the next Expat.com meet up?! I'd like to put faces to names. :D

Hey Stephanie99,

Noo please don't get me wrong! Wow, I adore Aussies too! You live in Budapest? That's so cool! If you'd like to talk or something, please write me a PM ;)

To ST30:

Eszter, my name is also Eszter, and my nickname is ST. What the hell :D Are you hungarian? My nickname is ST because during french classes, they call me Estée -> ST :D so what a coincidence ;)

eszter18 wrote:

Hey Stephanie99,

Noo please don't get me wrong! Wow, I adore Aussies too! You live in Budapest? That's so cool! If you'd like to talk or something, please write me a PM ;)

I'm kidding, don't worry! Aussies love to joke around. :D

Stephanie99 wrote:
eszter18 wrote:

Hey Stephanie99,

I'm kidding, don't worry! Aussies love to joke around. :D

then I love Aussies even more ;))) :D<3

Stephanie99 wrote:

What's all the excitement about the British people?! ;)

Well for one there's a very strong sense of Henry Higgins style elitism in most Hungarian English-teachers and it rubs on their students.
(I never really understood why. My guess is that learning sufficient international English is so simple they could teach themselves out of their jobs fairly quickly in a country of 10 million people. So they teach Cockney with all the tenses instead, and that's what the standard tests test too. The advanced level certificate proves you could write a Shakespeare play about a time traveler becoming his own grandfather.)

And then there's Monty Python. (at least it was there for my generation. With subtitles! Even Mr Bean is dubbed on Hungarian TV :-/ )
Crocodile Dundee can't compete with that, sorry :-)
(but Chaser's War could, if only more people knew about it around here!)

But don't worry, most Hungarians (including me for example) can't tell an Australian accent from a British one :-)
I guess we can differentiate between Southern US, British, and Indian English...)

Hi Eszter18,

:) Yes, I am Hungarian :) I dont remember how I became ST, but I think it happend while I was staying in the UK. Have you found any Britons yet? :)
Stephanie99, we like Assies and Kiwis also.

Best,

ST30

szocske wrote:
Stephanie99 wrote:

What's all the excitement about the British people?! ;)

And then there's Monty Python. (at least it was there for my generation. With subtitles! Even Mr Bean is dubbed on Hungarian TV :-/ )
Crocodile Dundee can't compete with that, sorry :-)
(but Chaser's War could, if only more people knew about it around here!)

But don't worry, most Hungarians (including me for example) can't tell an Australian accent from a British one :-)
I guess we can differentiate between Southern US, British, and Indian English...)

I get mistaken for an English person all the time!

Do you think the Chaser's War on Everything would translate well?!

Stephanie99 wrote:

Do you think the Chaser's War on Everything would translate well?!

I meant for people who speak English.

Albeit I'd love to do a similar show locally, I just don't think it would air on any of the channels: they are all very loyal to each other, most shows are about TV workers, talkshow guests are the hosts of all the other talk shows :-)

I guess it could be youtube-only :-)

Hi All,

Also I would like to get in contact and meet Brits and American people living in Budapest. I am a huge fan of London and have been to the US, too, which was amazing!

szocske wrote:

....But don't worry, most Hungarians (including me for example) can't tell an Australian accent from a British one :-) I guess we can differentiate between Southern US, British, and Indian English...)

There's also American vs Canadians (particularly Nova Scotian), Kiwis vs Aussies, North East Americans (Boston area particularly difficult), Falkland Islanders (cross between Australian and Wiltshire), St Helena, Jamaica, Barbados, Ireland (North and South) and a whole subset of the African English versions - South Africa, Zambia, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Tanzania, Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana...

...well, you get the picture....

Even native English speakers struggle to tell the difference between Americans and Canadians, Aussies and Kiwis.

melindamondo wrote:

Hi All,

Also I would like to get in contact and meet Brits and American people living in Budapest. I am a huge fan of London and have been to the US, too, which was amazing!

@melindamondo: welcome to the forum!

Why don't check out the Budapest expat network, you may find some contacts there!

Francesca

@eszter18

While a little off topic, why do you want to move away from Hungary out of curiosity? I'm thinking of moving there having lived in the US and Italy.

Sorry for the bump!

hey guys
actually im not from both nations, im from Egypt
just arrived yesterday to budapest and looking to make new friends
i do speak English and Arabic
let me know if any of u interesting to meet :)
c u

I am up for making new friends as i am new Budapest too :)

Hello,

Nice to meet you.
Well, if you are still interested to know about France, just let me know. I will be in Budapest as of 1st of May 2013.

Regards.