Living Expenses in Mauritius

Hi everyone,

My name is Desiré and I'm from South Africa. My husband and I eloped in Mauritius (Sugar Beach) last year October and now it seems that there might be an opportunity for my husband to work in Mauritius. A family member of ours has done extensive proposals to the Mauritian government and if all goes well, he wants my husband to head up the Mauritian Branch of this company. We were looking at leaving South Africa in any event as my husband has an Engineering Business which caters almost solely to the Automotive Industry, which as you all should know is virtually non existant the moment!! This would mean a change in his career, but at this point he is happy to do it.

We were looking at leaving for the Middle East, but we fell in love with Mauritius and if we can, would much rather prefer to move here, well at least I would! It reminds me a lot of where I was brought up, in Durban, which is also very tropical.

Anyway, sorry for this long post, what I need info on is the living expenses in Mauritius as I am busy compiling a spreadsheet. Please can you assist me, on a minimum and maximum basis on the following items (for two people only)

Rental
Utilities (Water & Electricity)
Insurances (Home Contents Insurance)
Vehicle
Petrol
Monthly Groceries
Satellite TV / DSTV
Domestic Cleaner (Once or Twice a week only)
Garden Services
Cellphone Account
Landline Account
Internet
Entertainment

Thank you so much!!!

Also perhaps somebody can give me an idea whether I will be able to get a job in Mauritius easily. I am a personal assistant (secretary) with 9 years experience, mostly in the legal industry.

Thanks again.

Des

Hi and welcome Des!

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5090

this might help ;)

Thank you! :)

Julien, you have said that renting a vehicle costs Rs 10 000 - 15 000 per month. In addition to this, what do you pay for petrol?

Also do you maybe know the costs of satelite TV such as DSTV?

And the rates of cleaning services?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Desire wrote:

In addition to this, what do you pay for petrol?

It depends where you live and work ;) (It doesn't cost me much as I am working from home)

Desire wrote:

Also do you maybe know the costs of satelite TV such as DSTV?

The french satellite TV is around 7-800 rs I am pretty sure it must be around that ..

And the rates of cleaning services?

40-50 rs per hour

Thank you so much :) I have emailed DSTV, and have been googling other sites. When I have finished my homework / spreadsheet I will post it here and you can tell me what you think.

Thanks again for your help!

You're very welcome Desire ;)