New to Trujillo

I taught long before I have decided to share my experience .I have to remind you that my experience with Recap development is dated back to January 2012. We were very excited to buy there and visited the development before we put down deposit for the lot. We were later thankful for some caution on our part. Back then there was only one house under construction and was built privately not by Recap. Information that we got before going to Honduras was not what we saw there. There was absolutely nothing there .We were told that we  will enjoy  private beach(for the owners), have no idea if this is correct .We were in contact with a local lawyer (who speaks English) and he told us that in Honduras there is no such thing like private beach. Everyone has access to beach if they want to. My understanding is that it will be difficult for locals to get there (no houses in very close proximity) so I think you can call it private beach. I have to say again that info we got from a lawyer not from Recap and cannot be 100% sure, we did not research further as we were not interested any more. The road going to the development is not the best one and if you drive there like every day in your car your windshield will not last long (road is built with small rocks).We were staying in La Ceiba and were driving to Trujillo in rented SUV and from our experience is type of car you will need there because of the roads condition. On the way to Trujillo we were stop at list 3 times (each way) by the army, they were polite but we were a little on edge. In Honduras crime rate is high so gated development should give some security. It is very poor country and crime rate is high.
We also met with Chris (he is contributor on this site), he builds houses in La Ciba and what we saw was similar to standard in Canada but I am not qualified to give any opinion as of quality of them. One thing I don't understand is why you have to pay him monthly fee $150 or more (do not remember exact amount) maintenance fee as there is no community area, pool, beach chairs etc. We were staying at Palma Real resort in La Ceiba, they also are selling villas (around $100000) and they have monthly fee but you have access to swimming pools, small water park, beach chairs, towels, entertainment, etc. During our 14 days day stay we never saw clear blue water in La Ceiba , Trujillo was a little better but do not expect water like Bahamas, Cayman or other Caribbean countries .Please also check electricity prices as I am sure your air conditioner will be working most of the time(not very cheap ), property taxes are low. There is no question that the prices there  are hard to find anywhere else (specially beach properties )but at least for us  we had to consider security and quality of life not only price. There is also no shortage of rentals in that region which I think says a lot. I hope that this development in last 2 years made some improvements as I like to remind you again I was there in 2012. I hope this info will help you and you will research all ,ask many questions,  even better visit the place  so there is no disappointment later.

A lot has changed in La Ceiba Beach Club. Club house is 100% complete, pool is being used daily by renters and homeowners and the large tiki hut with hammocks is always in use. The $158.00 you mentioned is for grass cutting, 24/7 security, water, cable TV, internet on common ground, pool up keep and someone there to do small errands. Sounds like a deal to me. As far as water clarity goes, the water currents changes 2 times a year. So the beach may have a lot of sand or less throughout the year along with rivers do carry silt. This happens anywhere in the world where there are  oceans and rivers.

I was mostly responding in general what I saw in Trujillo .I mentioned your development and Real Palma resort since I was also there and you did not respond to question if you are real estate agent .As to your comment: maybe I did not ask you right questions, was not aware that monthly fee included TV cable and water the rest in the package is up for discussion. As for security, the area of your development is not fenced and there is some distance between your phases of development so even with best intentions and best security guard is very difficult to provide it. On another hand no fence or security will stop thief in his intentions. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. In regards to clear blue water the last time I heard other Caribbean countries also have rivers and ocean so your explanation is somehow incorrect. The ocean is still an ocean but Caribbean countries are famous for turquoise clear water so it is nice to see it.  Please say like it is so we can make sound judgment and make right decision to buy there or not. I was looking for place to move there and for me blue clear water and security is number 1. Some of us will love there and some like me will reject the place. Like I mentioned before, I cannot find better prices for beach properties anywhere in the Caribbean, houses that were for sale 2 years ago are still for sale so maybe prices will not go up that much like developers would like us to believe but I can be wrong also. Maybe in couple years or more I will reconsider Honduras as an option again.

If you want torquoise water and much safer conditions than the mainland, you,re looking at the Bay islands. Military does not fool with you either. More expensive on Roatan to buy beach property I,m sure, but you,ll recoup your investment. The key is the reef which drives the dive and tourism engine. Won,t last forever though with everything that,s happening to it...b

Thanks for the reply miroslawa.. The site has seen much advancement up to date although the rental market hasn't been as busy as La Ceiba.. With that said Trujillo has tons of potential for a healthy renters market based on what Recap has told me.. Still waiting to see it.

I'm in the process of contacting other Villa owners to get a better feel of how the rental process is working out for them. Hard to find them ;) If you know of any please let me know.

Thx

Thank you bwood for your comments, we have visited Roatan for very short time (cruise's stop) and we liked it there. You are right; real estate market is more expensive than mainland.

Anthony, we do not know anyone that have rental property there. We were looking  for a place that we can live in for 6 months a year (winter time in Canada).We were there in 2012 and there was absolutely almost nothing built, so we did not meet anyone. We were told that all “beach front lots “were sold but after insisting that will not buy anything else they offered us “resale lots”, so we went down there. I think the rest of the story you know from my previous posts. We simply were disappointed as there was nothing to see except beach (which by the way was not very appealing to us). Maybe after seeing beaches at Cayman Island, Bahamas, etc. our expectation was too high.
We have friends that own rental property in La Ceiba and they also are not very happy with outcome, so maybe it is economy downturn or simply bad reputation (crime) only time will tell.
Good luck with your rental property.
Thx.

HonduranDean wrote:

'Pave Paradise Put Up a Parking Lot' If anyone remembers that old song maybe they can relate to what may be happening in the Trujillo area. When you get people putting down payments on lots without ever seeing them it really starts to get scary! I was always curious about Trujillo and being a windsurfer I had another motive when I learned it was a good place to windsurf part of the year. Well last winter I was four months in Honduras (yes I am fluent in Spanish) and decided to visit the coast before I left. Trujillo was  nicer that I thought it would be. But with developments the size of what is planned I can see it going downhill. Remember money attracts evil and this will start in the area sooner or later. With the government of Honduras hanging by a thread and a law enforcement system that is a total joke one needs to be cautious. I went out to a Garifuna village,Santa Fe de Colon and left with a tear in my eye knowing that sooner or later these people will loose something precious, their lifestyle! Cut and paste my youtube presentation to see one of the last remaining paradises.
'Santa Fe de Colon Honduras,How long can it remain unspoiled?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBZGyiPtuzI
To tell you the truth I hope there will be legal challenges to the developments since as always in these cases someone did something either illegal or corrupt to get them started in the first place by buying someone off.
For those of you whom have never been to Trujillo see my youtube presentation;  Trujillo EXPOSED!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NHO5P18Lyw 
Too bad all these Canadians don't go to Haiti and spend their money where it might do some good... And hey they speak French there!

Why should canadians go to Haiti?  The canadian government already dumps a ton of money in that hell hole.  You should go to Haiti with all of your negative comments towards Canadians.  You can go any where in the world and find Canadians with a lot of money doing good things for people.  And why is that?  We are hard working and very generous.  In 20 years with the Canadians flooding into Honduras is a good thing.  Employing Hondurans, cleaning up the country, paving roads.  Criminals don't like clean and pleasant areas.  Everything is better with Canadians.  Canadians are the maple syrup on your pancakes.
Get use to it.  Every other country in the world brings crimes and hate to other countries, Canada brings happiness.

You came, obviously, from Gringoland to clean up in REAL estate? Leave us alone & head east...keep going😎

Omg I'm new here a just reading we are all people with diff opinions experiences a feelings that's all 😀

You didn't research ANY of this before you left Gringoland?
Sad...

@ Sebmeyer  please post the links you have to Trujillo