EF Central Jakarta

Hello,

I am moving to Jakarta at the end of this month to work as an English teacher for EF Central Jakarta. However after searching through various forums I get the impression that they aren't the best employers. They are offering accommodation and 7million rupiah per month.

Does anyone actually work for them who could help me out?
Are there better employers?
Are Wall Street or Midwest any better?

Thanks,
Bethany

Bethany, EF is a reputable employer and all its centers are franchises. So that means some are better than others and everyone who works in them comes here with different expectations and ideas of what a private English school should look like. It is not for all people and therefore people use forums to post their dislikes and all the bad things they experienced. However they experienced them, not you. That is not to say that they should not be ignored rather you should discuss them with your employer.
EF pays around 7 million for first year teachers and offers shared housing close to where you work.
I would suggest you speak to the DoS at your center and ask if you can speak to the teachers already there about conditions.

Wall Street, TBI etc pay more and are in different parts of the city but essentially recruit the same people and all face problems over time.

I have worked for EF for over 5 years and yes I take the criticisms and understand them but they have never happened to me or those who work with me and I am as quick to praise EF as I am to criticize it.
Make sure you want to be in Jakarta for a year and understand what that means as well. It is not just the teaching but the lifestyle you will live or can live.
For the other forum posters, lets keep the forum what it is. Happy, positive and good humoured. Lets not start deriding each other over EF. There are too many places already on the internet for that already.

oh and yes, there probably are better employers. But research research research into every offer you get.

Thank you! I know, I have already been offered the job and have taken it so was rather disheartened myself when people were so negative.

I will try and contact the DOS. See you in the crazy city of Jakarta!

I've never worked for EF but..

A branch in Central Java, unrelated except by the fact they are different franchises of the same group, offered me illegal work. They were to advertise the event and that would have left in the the proverbial deep and brown if the wrong person had got hold.

I've spoken to the bloke who runs the Jakarta group and he seems fair and honest.

The salary and hours are low and long compared with many other schools but are similar or better than some other language mills.

You can easily live well on 7 million but don't expect to go out getting sozzled every night because you can't on that sort of money.