Wine discovery

Hello,

You know how French people are ... they always prefer French wines! :/

Let's show them there are a lot of wines all around the world that are really worth :D

What are your favourite wines? (I mean "accessible" wines, not like Chateau Petrus ;) )

In Spain, I would advise you wines from "La Rioja" ...   and for the "aperitivo" (befor you eat) I like vertmouth "del griffo", it has a nice sweet taste ... and you, which wines would you advice me?

Julien

I'm an Australian or Italian kinda wine guy! (Well, OK, only red Italian, but Australian for both red and white).
Chilean and Spanish is pretty good though. French can be good, but I find you have spend more to get a good quality French wine.
What I find most difficult about French wine though is, say compared to Australian, they don't always tell you about what grape varient was used. Not being a real expert, I find at least knowing what grape went into it gives me a little clue as to what it was taste like.

Here in Japan, French (and too a lesser extent Italian) is automatically assumed to be the best wine. Australian is seen as cheap. However, I'd rather drink a 2000Yen bottle of Australian than a 2000Yen bottle of French.

Generally speaking, Japanese 'Western style' wine is bloody awful. They sometimes use the Japanese grape variety which doesn't work. Having said that, it's cheap and great for cooking with!!
BUT, some of the Japanese firms are now working with some companies and people in France and started to produce some pretty good wine. I've had some wine from a Japanese vineyard called 'Grace Wines'. Pretty good stuff.

Mind you, can't beat a nice bottle of Wolfblass! (Aussie. The Gold Label stuff pretty good, as is the Red Label. Cheap as well. Grey label starts getting pricey, but tastes REALLY good).

I like good old Napa and Sonoma wines.  As the California wine industries age a bit the wines are getting way better.

Now I am drinking Dominican wines which leave a lot to be desired:)

There is no real Wine production here in The Dominican Republic because for some reason or other Wine Varietal Grapes do not grow here.  I understand that some Italian Company in Cooperation with the DR Government started a vineyard somewhere near the Haitian border but the first results were terrible (to be kind)  We Have formed a Company here called Ducado Del Montesol and we are about to open the only craft winery and distillery in The Dominican Republic.  We are starting with eight different varieties In Red : Shiraz,Pinot Noir,Vieux Chateau du Roi and Merlot  in White : Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Reisling and White Zinfandel - which is a Blush.  We are also producing : Oaken (tm) Whiskey, Oaken (tm) Brandy, English Gin and Vodka.  We are importing the Grape Must in order to make it.  We have some Merlot from an earlier vintage which is ready to drink now - Superb.  Anyone interested can e-mail me.

Find activities and meet other expats

OR