Spouse visa procedures

This enquiry came to me by PM, but I'm posting it as it's valuable information for anyone wanting to come to Libya with their family:

Hello Sandman,
I have been offered a job with a Oil Company in Tripoli, I'll get my entry visa in couple of weeks. Once I'm there my company will apply for my resident/work visa. Could you please tell me how long it takes to get resident visa? My decision to move to Tripoli is depneding on this one big factor cause I can't leave my family behind for long for my personal reasons. Is there a way to speed up the process. Can she get a visit visa through a Lybian Travel agent? That would be a great help if you reply.

I arrived in Tripoli 9th March and my passport with the residence visa / reentry visa was returned to me by 3rd week April - around 5 weeks later.

After this, my family's details were submitted to the Libyan immigration authorities and the application reference number was transmitted to the Libyan embassy in London - this took 3 weeks. In London it took 1 week for the spouse/family visas to be issued. The cost for each visa was GBP 500

Don't bother trying to bring in your family on a tourist visa, it's a lot of hassle and your family will still need to return to the point of origin to apply for their spouse visas.

Much Angst Here

My husband, already in Tripoli just webcammed me and told me that the visa turn-around for American passport holders has been slowed to 3 even 4 months. This is a development that he was just told about that is rather recently revealed or announced. 

Am freaking out here. That means that we would be able to get there until September or even October. This is bad caues I'm supposed to work at the American School starting in August - and of course my dauther starts school there - Aug 18th. Not to mention that the movers are supposed to come pack us up and out in TWO WEEKS.  I'm prepared to camp out in my house for the six weeks after that til daughter and I leave, but NOT for 3-4 months! 

Also, my husband says that tourist visas are no longer being issued???? What's up with that?  Is there some sort of diplomatic shake down happening here?

I feel your pain, Justice4pal...the delays in processing Mrs Sand's spouse visa meant that she and our daughter overstayed their UK visas and have been blacklisted from reapplying for UK visas for 6 months :mad:

Visas for US citizens always did take longer than for other nationalities. I guess the Colonel hasn't quite forgotten the years of sanctions...

But don't feel it's anything personal though, Libya also doesn't issue tourist visas to Nigerians either, and they are also in the process of closing down Swiss-owned companies here and won't issue new visas or renew work permits to Swiss citizens. Swiss airlines have also been banned from overflying Libyan territory on threat of being shot down.

Blacklisted for UK visa in the UK?

justice4pal wrote:

Blacklisted for UK visa in the UK?

Yep...they overstayed their 6 month entry by 3 days! :mad:

Hi,

A question : Is there any problem with French people to get the visa ? I have seen what you wrote about swiss company and citizen, do you think that could happen the same with French company? I ask because the company with one I am involved today, want to employ me in order to create a new affiliate there in Tripoli to make business with Oil & Gas company, and i would be sure to take the good decision before resign from my actual company

Thanks a lot,

Olivier (sorry for my english! I have to practive more!)

Olivier,

It's not a problem for French passport holders to obtain visas. You just have to endure the same delays as the rest of us.

In this case I will ...  :-)
Thanks for your answer

Other question
We (me and my spouse) heard that one time you are located in Libya it is no so easy to go out of the country, even with a business visa. Is it true or it is bullshit!?
Thanks
Olivier

True...

Even with a residence permit and re-entry visa, you must apply for an exit pass each time you want to leave. Takes a day to process, but means you can't just head off for a weekend break at the last minute.

Libyan immigration is still in the Stone Age :mad::mad::mad:

Justice4pal have you received any news on when you will be able to leave for Libya?  Are you going to be there before the schools starts?

Good news on the visa front.  Today our passports, with fancy visa stamps inside were delivered from the Libyan Bureau in Washington DC.  :):):)  Overjoyed here.  We are going to make it to Libya in time for school. 

However, since I first posted my angst about the delays, we have learned that my husband, a green card holder (he's a Canadian) needs a special permit from USA anytime he is going to be out of the USA for more than a year in order to maintain the green card status.  Long story short, the US immigration bureau is inflexible, making him travel back twice, so, we're going ahead and instead, he's applying for US citizenship.  Now when he bitches about American politics, I can tell him to go campaign for his candidate and vote.

Hi all,

I'll be in libya in one month for a 2 months trial period. During this period i 'll tramit my residence visa. My spouse is from nicaragua, and has residence in spain. You mean she will have to go to nicaragua to tramit her visa?

roger-barcelona wrote:

Hi all,

I'll be in libya in one month for a 2 months trial period. During this period i 'll tramit my residence visa. My spouse is from nicaragua, and has residence in spain. You mean she will have to go to nicaragua to tramit her visa?

If your spouse has residence in Spain, she can apply in Madrid. :)

i just want to ask if i get my work visa how it would be possible to take my wife with me and when i would be able to apply her visa as spouse
?

Hi  mohsin rafiq,

Please feel free to create a new topic on the Libya forum, as the topic on which you posted on is from 2009.

Thank you,

David.