Business advice

Hi i plan to open a boat repair business in the Dr..probably the north coast. I am told that I can work with just a visa.What is the best way to get one? Is it still easy to get around by motodomo? Can I open a bank account as a visiter? Any inexpensive rooms or apartments? How difficult is it to find tools? Is anyone bringing parts etc. from the US?..Thanks..Jim

See our blog...
http://location-bungalow-cabarete-surf- … ogspot.com
see you later
Stéphane

Jim have you been here before?  If not please before you invest any money on your plans do so. Working is hard down here and pay is very low for what you are looking at.  It also will be hard for a gringo to start that kind of a business and there are not many  marina's here on the north coast so i am not sure how busy/successful you will be.
Yes you should have a cedula to work here. If setting up your own business you will have to apply for a tax id as well. Both of these will take a couple of months to set up. Good tools can be found in Santiago but are very expensive (30%-50% more then what they would sell for in the US).
Inexpensive housing is not a poroblem and you probably could find a small apt for about $250 a month.

Bob K

Bob..Thank you for the reply..As an experienced cruiser, I have been able to find work in seversl spots in latin america. There is alwayssome friction as the locals jealously guard what work comes into town, but they are usually niot very good at what they do, and frequently corrupt. this doesn't mean that I believe I know it all..I certainly don't, and what ever advice you can offer is greatly appreciated. My second plan was to sail down, and start by working from my boat as I would then be anchored in the middle of my prospective clientele, and unaffected by whatever the locals think or do..Any thoughts?...jim

Jim,
If you can come take a look first either by your boat or fly down for a couple of weeks to scout it out.

Bob K