Expat family looking to move from Hong Kong to NY - lots of questions.

Hello,
We are an expat family from Australia/NZ looking to relocate to NY - we have no idea of the suburbs that would be best suitable for families.
Can someone recommend some suburbs good for families with good public schools and reasonable house rental prices(with a commute of no more than 50 mins).

Also give any other general tips and hints that people not familiar with US would not consider like - tax, medical, buying cars, etc.

Also does it make sense to bring appliances and electronics with us or just buy upon relocating?

Any other information would be great.

Regards, Heather

Hi and welcome on board Heather!

I would suggest you to download and read the USA guide.
It should definitely help in your moving project ;)

I wish you good luck
Armand

Hi, Heather!

A couple of excellent websites to recommend. Americans use both websites to search for information which is quite current.

city-data.com for demographic stuff that will help you narrow down to a manageable choice of areas you want to look closely into. The website's forum has great info from many well informed posters.

realtor.com for housing info, costs, neighborhoods, and, most importantly, schools. This website is run by the national realtor association representing most real estate agents here in the U.S.

As Armand mentioned, the USA Guide is a good starting point to get general ideas and answer some of your questions.

Best of luck to you!

Prajna

thank you both for your advice - I will get started with my reading....
heather

Hi Heather,
My family is also planning a relocation to NY in 2012.  I'd love to hear about where you have decided to live/experiences moving there if you get the chance! I've been trawling through a bazillion websites and just feel overwhelmed by the info out there - would love to hear it from someone who is doing it too!
Josie

Hi Heather,

You should look into Westchester, White Plains, New Rochelle counties.  New Rochelle is considered as one of the 100 Best Walking Cities in America, and the second best in New York State and one of the best places nationally to raise children.

With regards to taxes, if you are renting, you don't have to worry about real estate taxes. Medical insurance may be availed from your job or your husband's and buying cars depends on your preference.  You can buy a cheaper one or more expensive; new or used - it's your prerogative. 
On appliances, you can bring whatever you have - it just depends on the moving company you're using.  You just study and compare closely the rates between moving the electronics with you versus moving just the essentials like clothing and computers and the likes. If the difference is not that big then, maybe just bring everything what you have especially if, the old ones meant more to you than new ones.
Hope this info helps.

Thank you for the advice.
We have been searching in Westchester - specifically the Bronxville and Scarsdale areas.
We have also done a bit of looking around in new Jersey in the Summit, Maplewood, Orange areas and seemed to like them also.
Both these areas seem to have a reasonably easy commute to Manhattan and both seem rated very well to live and educate with children.
Can anyone give me any further tips, ideas or advice on these areas before we go ahead and make a decision.

Thanks so much,
Heather

hi ,i live near hongkong ,so nice ,my eamail is [email protected]