Security services business......... the next booming trend in Libya???

Everyone seems to be popping up pushing sercurity services in Libya nowadays.

Am I missing something??

People are expecting another Iraq in the making??

Enlighten me if you know what I don't seem to know.

Siddiqui

Siddiqui, i doubt anyone knows anything about what is to come. They are probably going on assumptions based on an expectation that things will be unsafe for a whiles to come or perhaps just security services related to an increase in petty crime.

also big companies and their "insurance" concerns - they want to appear at least to protect their staff.

Siddiqui, you are right. Tripoli and Benghazi hotels are full of security companies offering their services hoping for another boom like Iraq.

The majority are wasting their time and will go home with nothing.
Libya is not Iraq and never will be

Flasher wrote:

Libya is not Iraq and never will be

thank goodness! security staff I've spoken to are actually quite optimistic about how Libya is going....not necessarily their prospects...:)

I believe that when (if) the militias are absorbed by a National Army with a clear chain of command, the security level of international staff will be lowered. But as long as bullets continue to fall from the sky from time to time, and skirmishes between different Katibas happen, you will continue to see armored vehicles and big guys protecting us, soft skinned internationals. Quite frankly, I feel much better with them around... just in case.

Guy's, morning, hope your all well.

Security firms, it's amazing how quickly they are popping up with "serviced villa's / offices" "armoured vehicles" "bi-lingual staff"
It's not going to last, a few people will make good money in the short term, but the market just wont sustain than many companies.

Anyone know if there is an actual police presence yet? I'm being told my car was stolen, but one of our old local staff has been seen driving it but is refusing to return it. Not being employed by a big multinational (or a security company) I cant really afford to just let it go.

Stay safe people.
OB

Sorry to hear about your car OB but your're just going to have to let it go I'm afraid. We lost our cars, our house and all our belongings, it's heartbreaking but nobody cares about what the foreigners lost which is understandable when so many people lost their lives. I just wonder who they will blame when the dust settles as the usual suspects, Tunisians, Eqyptians or Black Africans weren't around.
I'm never going back, I've been invited but told them to shove it. The Libyans have exposed themselves now, we'll see over the next few months their true colours.

There is no law and order, they are incapable of sorting it out and won't until there are NATO troops on the streets. The militia are stealing anything they can whilst they can and it doesn't look like they plan on moving out of the city anytime soon.
It wasn't reported in the media but they rolled up at the port last week and stole all the new cars that were stored there, nobody could stop them. Tripolitanians are fed up with them but are powerless to do anything.
Sad to say but I think there's every chance of a full blown civil war very soon.

Their businesses will not have any great work here since its not like what they have expected it to become. Its totally different prospect here and scenario.

Flasher Wrote:
I'm never going back, I've been invited but told them to shove it.
--------------------
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, as if they need you, hhhhhhhhhhh, that is the stupidest thing i heard, guess what ??good riddance, with Libyas wealth, world crisis and greed you will be back,  if not you a zillion others better then you can replace you in a blink of an eye....
and people stop saying Libya will be like Iraq or Somalia...it will not !! you guys keep wishing it on Libyans..Why the hate? why the envy? why do you insist that only you can make it better? how pathetic.. leave the Libyans alone! let them deal with it..

[Moderated: could you please stop using this type of language on the forum?]

LeMonde wrote:

Flasher Wrote:
I'm never going back, I've been invited but told them to shove it.
--------------------
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, as if they need you, hhhhhhhhhhh, that is the stupidest thing i heard, guess what ??good riddance, with Libyas wealth, world crisis and greed you will be back,  if not you a zillion others better then you can replace you in a blink of an eye....
and people stop saying Libya will be like Iraq or Somalia...it will not !! you guys keep wishing it on Libyans..Why the hate? why the envy? why do you insist that only you can make it better? how pathetic.. leave the Libyans alone! let them deal with it..

[Moderated: this type of language is not allowed on the forum]
Do you consider it acceptable for my Janzour landlord to break into my house, steal my cars and all my belongings and threaten my guards at gunpoint. He's nothing but a common thief but there's nothing I can do about it because Libya has no law.

My service company employed over 200 Libyans, most are unemployed now and will be for a very long time. About 10 of them could actually do a job, the rest were there because I had to have them. I even paid Libyans to stay at home they were that pathetic. I'm not starting up again, most of my equipment was stolen, offices were simply smashed up for no reason and because of this all these people have joined the growing ranks of the Libyan unemployed.
You've got no chance of fixing Libya on your own. You don't trust each other, the majority of the people are uneducated and have that wonderful mix of arrogance and ignorance. There's been no education to speak of since you kicked out all the Egyptian teachers 30 years ago, you can't do anything without foreign labour and the majority of the young people are bone idle with no desire to work. 
You'll need foreigners there to take the blame when you realise it is totally fucked because it can't be your fault, Libyans are totally blameless for anything that goes wrong.

Libya will have a civil war within the next two years. Fact.

Flasher wrote:

[Moderated: this type of language is not allowed on the forum]

Why dont you take it easy!? The Libyan people and this country just went through 8+ months of war and bombing. Water, food, heat, electicity,  medicine shortages and a slew of terror -- while you sat around in a nice comfy sofa in UK and drank beer.

Yes, you did probably lose your stuff and your car and you will probably not get them back. Be happy you have your safe life and your own country did not go through a civil war.

Off-topic post has been removed, could you please return to the initial topic, and avoid using rude language?

Thanks,
Harmonie.
Expat.com Team.

LeMonde wrote:

.. leave the Libyans alone! let them deal with it..

...oppppsss...i don' wanna start something.. but the above comment made me wonder what could have been the ending of the story if the UN, or NATO had left Libya alone during it's struggle for freedom?..was it the same as it does?..what if the foreign medical workers (esp Filipinos) left their posts during the war and let the Libyan medical staff deal with it, will there be any difference???..hmmmmmm.....

katutubongPinoy wrote:
LeMonde wrote:

.. leave the Libyans alone! let them deal with it..

...oppppsss...i don' wanna start something.. but the above comment made me wonder what could have been the ending of the story if the UN, or NATO had left Libya alone during it's struggle for freedom?..was it the same as it does?..what if the foreign medical workers (esp Filipinos) left their posts during the war and let the Libyan medical staff deal with it, will there be any difference???..hmmmmmm.....

No doubt that NATO help was important, but it does not make an equal partner in the new Libya. There is a big difference in dropping bombs from 1 km in the air and fighting on the ground hand to hand, as is plainly evident in the number of NATO that lost their lives compared to Libyans that lost their lives. Do not under estimate how much courage and much much "balls" those Libyans that took up arms had. Just try to imagine what might happen to you if you dared to take up arms against the military and elite military units in your own country.

...i agree Mr. Douglas...but let's just accept that NATO played an important role as to how the "war" ends, and their role made a real difference that needs no further elaboration. but that difference doesn't took away the reality that Libyans deserve salutation for their bravery...but I hope the bravery stay not on their heads but on their hearts.

iam a libyan  iwant to know way you hide my comments  free libya is open for all except racists  trust me iknow my country no security services here noway       ppl regard them as occupiers      i thank filipino woman    for help    The  libyans proved they had  the  determination      they  were willing to pay the price  with or with out any help     they  fougth  for    35 days only civilians facing mad tyrant with his war  machine     still grateful for every one     take it easy alot of money coming up

Siddiqui
Now that you have stayed quite enough in new Libya. Can you give some advice, tips how to stay safe in Tripoli. What hours of the day surely safe, what places it is desirably not to visit at all etc.

Masterr,

Libya is safe enough in my opinion. There are very few expats for now, compared to what it was before, even fewer families. Apart from ISM, the other international schools are still not open.

For now, the best option is to keep a low profile.

I have heard of many cases of car snatching. One of our 4x4's was taken away at gunpoint and one close call. People dressed as NTC representatives and used the excuse to verify the authenticity of the vehicle documents - took off with the Hyundai Tucson of another friend of mine.

Try to stay away from areas prone to sporadic instant fighting eruptions which usually end up in gunfire these days. You don't want to get caught in the crossfire.

Apart from that it's business as usual.

thanks for the advice, Siddiqui

Siddiqui wrote:

Try to stay away from areas prone to sporadic instant fighting eruptions which usually end up in gunfire these days. You don't want to get caught in the crossfire.

Like where?

Well its better to avoid the road to Zawiya city between the check point 27 and Al-Maya some issues there and certain places in Tripoli like Abu Saleem, Hadba keep to the main roads and after 7 try staying home. I have been in this country for 17 years and these people are better than many. There were like 16 thousand criminals locked up before the regime fell and they are now all free so 1 main problem is identified :):)

its better to over-vigil than under-estimate the threat:
http://www.libyaherald.com/armed-crimin … li-suburb/

I don't really believe this news story.

I live in Serraj area, I have not seen a single European expat driving around by himself since I returned to Libya in September.

Most of the Europeans working here are housed in the Palm City compound with their security details.

I have heard of car snatching but it's not just for expats, locals are targeted just the same but most snatchings are reported on deserted / very light traffic streets.

Law and order situation is still not where it should be, but given the number of weapons on the street, it could have been much worse.

After watching the news coverage while still in Tripoli during the initial days of the revolution, I have learned not to trust everything I see/read from the various news outlets.

Siddiqui

Siddiqui wrote:

I don't really believe this news story.
Siddiqui

Do you evac your employees for the elections period?

No plan to evacuate any staff for elections for now. We will monitor the situation as it unfolds and decide accordingly.