Newbie here, moving to Cuenca in January

Hi everybody! My name is David and I will be relocating with my Girlfriend to Cuenca in January 2012. Just wanted to give a big hello to the expat community and let yall know that we are here. We'll see ya around the message board :)

Talk to you soon!

-Dave and Hillary

Hi and welcome to the forum David!

What will you be doing in Cuenca?
Is it your first time there?

Regards
Armand

Hi Armand. We will be teaching ESL in Cuenca. Can you tell us anything about the expats in Cuenca? From what I have read it seems everybody knows each other and kinda hangs out or meet up at restaurants once a week or so. Is that correct? What part of Cuenca do you live in? Are you American or are you originally from Cuenca?

-Dave

Hi, Dave

Welcome to the Expat.com. The expats community in Cuenca is very active, they have meeting almost every week in a couple of places and they have newsletters like Gringo Tree.

If you need any help with your moving I can recomend you some moving companies names or if you need any other help or advice let me know.

Vinny66

Hi Vinny! Thanks for the offer, I will definitely keep you in mind if we need anything.

[Moderated]

I do have a couple questions that are open to anyone who can answer them.

1. I am a DJ and would like to get some gig's in Ecuador. Can anyone tell me if Ecuadorians are big on American music ie: house, hip hop, reggae, dub-step etc. and if not, what sort of music should I begin to download? Can anyone recommend bands or genres? I figure some sort of salsa...?

2. I will be selling my car before I make my move to Ecuador. Is the public transportation situation good or should I buy a motorcycle once I get down there? How much do motorcycles go for? I figure they are far less expensive there than they are here, is this true?

3. I have a lot of storable emergency food that I want to bring with me to Ecuador, are there any limitations on bringing food into Ecuador? If so, how should I get it there?

Thanks in advance!

-Dave

Hi Dave:

Cuenca is very popular -- lovely city and good public transportation.  Check out Patiotuerca.com for some info on cost of cycles in that area.

Also you might want to join the yahoo group that's got lots of Cuenca info at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cuenca_Ecuador/

Thanks OceanHideaway, I'll go check out that yahoo group later today.

Hi Teck83

Here is an answer to your questions.

1- In Cuenca there's several places with Dj's, electronic music,house and so on. There's salsa places too.

2- Public transportation is good and cheap. Motorcycle?? Well, trafic is crazy here and there is no respect for pedestrians or bikes. On the other hand there is a lot of interest in Mountain bikes and motorcycles racing.

3- You can bring some food, better if is canned, no perishables. But check the amount of items first, there is a limit and you can have customs problems.

Regards
Vinny

Thanks Vinny. So when you say traffic is crazy are you saying It's probably not a good idea to get a motorcycle? Is it like in India where most of the vehicles are scooters or motorcycles or is it mostly cars?

Most of the people use cars. Motorcycles are used mostly by messengers and police, and they have a hard time dealing with cars, buses and taxis, they think they rule on the streets because they're bigger.

Ok cool, thanks vinny.