Organize your move to the Dominican Republic

Hi all,

we invite you to share your experience about moving to the Dominican Republic.

Here is a list of questions which might help the ones preparing their move to the Dominican Republic:

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

Any foodstuffs that are banned in Dominican Republic ?

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Dominican Republic ?

Any advice for the ones who are moving to the Dominican Republic?

Thank you in advance for your participation :)

Here are some anwers for "newbies"

Here is a list of questions which might help the ones preparing their move to the Dominican Republic:

These days almost everything you can get back “home” you can find here. However many times it will be more expensive.  You are allowed to ship one “duty free” container of used goods within 6 months of getting your residency. Electronics are very expensive here so I would bring that in your container or when you fly in if you can fit it in your checked luggage

Again Most can be found here but again you can ship one container without paying taxes. You can get imported appliances but it will be more expensive than back home.  There are domestic appliances some of which are ok. 
You can also get all types of furniture here as well.

I can't think of any that are banned but you are not allowed to bring in fruits, veggies or meats. You can get that all here

I would recommend buying one here as the import duties are extremely high and my actually run 50% of the value of the vehicle

You need to remember things work differently here and not at the pace you are used to. A good attitude goes a long way as does lots of patience.

Bob K

Hi Bob K!

Thanks a lot for your input ;)

Regards
Armand

Julie wrote:

I  WOULD LEAVE BEHIND ALL MY EXPECTATIONS, PRECONCEIVED NOTIONS AND JUDGEMENTS.  I WOULD  BRING AN OPEN MIND AND BE READY FOR ADVENTURE.   THINGS - WELL MOST OF THOSE YOU CAN GET HERE.

SEEMS TO  ME IT IS  HARDLY  WORTH IT -  YOU ONLY  GET TO BRING IN A TRAILER AFTER YOU HAVE YOUR RESIDENCIA, MOST PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT EVERYTHING  BY THAT TIME.

NOPE BUT  A FEW SPECIALTY THINGS YOU CAN'T GET OR ARE  SCARCE - RIGHT NOW   I WANT A JAR OF MIRACLE WHIP SALAD  DRESSING -ANYONE COMING TO SD  BRING ME A BOTTLE, THAT IS HOW WE DO IT.

BUY IT HERE, TOO HIGH A TAX, MANY VEHICLES YOU WILL NOT FIND  EITHER PARTS OR A KNOWLEDGEABLE MECHANIC TO  FIX. 

OH GOSH,  LOTS ANDLOTS OF ADVICE. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE IN FOR, COME  VISIT, SPEND  TIME IN VARIOUS AREAS OF THIS  BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY. IF YOU ARE COMING AND NEEDING TO WORK  BETTER GET YOUR DUCKS IN A ROW  EARLY,HAVE SOME SAVINGS TO SEE YOU THROUGH. KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN, YOUR EYES AND EARS OPEN. DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR AND  DON'T TRUST ANYONE UNTIL YOU HAVE REASON TO.

:)

Thanks for these useful tips planner!;)

Harmonie.:)

You are welcome, always willing to share my  perspective!

Bring a good kitchen knife and guard it with your life as will be used as a screwdriver or  garden implement by any tradesman; bring good tin/can opener as well. Leave behind everything else.

No to furniture, and no to appliances if you come from the UK as the electricity here is 110.  I would bring a laptop as they are expensive here. In fact bring 2 or 3!

No. Bring things you can't get here like marmite, birds custard powder, sage and onion stuffing and suet.

Buy here.

Take time on deciding where you want to live.  It is a big country and the areas are very different.  Rent before you buy.  Be very careful of whom you trust - including fellow ex-pats.  Learn Spanish

Hi Julie ...  I agree completely with both Planner and Bob.
The best thing to bring is your open mind and heart, a good attitude, your common sense, and a spirit of adventure!  Learning some Spanish would also certainly help.
Leave behind any intolerances, prejudices, doubts, or expectations! 
There is a certain attribute that people who live life to the fullest and succeed at it seem to have ... and that is, they trust in themselves and their own ability to survive!  That is to say, allow life to happen and go with the flow.  The more resistance you have the more blockages you will encounter.
Savings are good but depends how much security you feel you need to have.   
“A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking, because her trust is not on the branch but on it's own wings. Always believe in yourself”
Otherwise ....
BIENVENIDO A REPUBLICA DOMINICANA!
MMM

A sense  of humour is an invaluable asset to bring. It will grease your way through the inexplicable frustrations bound to confront you. Laughter will sustain you until you  adjust to Dominican way of. life & culture. Lay back, relax & have a couple of libations.  Enjoy the changes & your new adventure. I did it 30 years ago moving to the islands. Four of them. This one is the best one of all.  Welcome to the island life.