I'd like to know would getting around with a pram be difficult?

Hi All, I am new to this site/forum also. My husband has currently applied for a Senior Civil Engineering role there with a global company. We have a 15 month old son, and I guess he is my main concern with the possible relocation. The only thing I am concerned about is getting around the city with a pram....quite a minor question, but for me, an important one as I am quite the quizzical, adventurous type, and I love walking and exploring my new surroundings. I'd like to know would getting around with a pram be difficult....ie I hear there are alot of escalators/travelators through the city....are there also lifts available for prams/disabled etc ?? could I get on a ferry with a pram easily ?? as we are considering Discovery Bay to live.....mainly for the reason Joysical said...that it seems a fairly Westernised/large Expat area....and we can explore and take in the hustle and bustle of HK when we choose rather than having to deal with it on a 24 hour basis, especially with a young boy, having a bit of space to play etc without the noise and cars. Any advice appreciated.....even if you have anything on negotiating an employment/relocation package. What do most expats ask for with a package ?? Ive heard you can negotiate for accomodation costs, medical cover, home help, flights home once or twice a year etc....anything else you can negotiate ?
Thanks Everyone....

Hello kitcat78, I've introduced your discussion as a new thread on Hong Kong forum for better visibility.

Harmonie.:)

When we moved to HK our kids where 6 and 2 years old. We lived on the Peak on HK Island. Getting around with a pram on HK Island or Kowloon is an absolute nightmare. a buggy is easier, but still not ideal. HK Island is very hilly, and there are thousands of steps and stairs, and t,eh car density is the highest in the world. The escalator you only find in Mid- Levels and all major shopping malls. In Discovery Bay (DB) it is a lot easier to push a pram or buggy around. Public cars are not allowed there and the place is kids friendly. How ever, does this minor issue not let influence your decision to come to HK. I found HK a magnificent place, and I am sure you will have a wonderful time. I live in Kenya right now, and if I can move back to HK, I pack my suitcase tonight and return there.

A standard expat package consists off; Housing allowance (very expensive in HK); school fees; one return flight a year back home ( business class if company is willing to pay); company car or travel allowance;  (in HK it is very easy to go around without a car, and in DB cars are not allowed);  relocation cost ( transport of furniture in container or the rental cost of furniture);  tax wise your company can  withhold a hypothetical (hypo tax) from your husband's salary. E.g. In Austarlia you pay around 40% in HK 17% so the tax percentage can be somewhere in the middle e.g. 28%. Sometimes companies also pay for cultural awareness courses or studies for the spouse, or they help the spouse with finding a job.

All of the above of course depends on the expat policies of the company and can differ per industry. It also depends on your bargaining power. How badly do they want you there. HK is by far not a hardship posting anymore, but for sure the company have to pay (or contribute a large) part of the rent, because rent is a huge part of your monthly cost.

Enjoy your time there and hopefully this comment was helpful,

Kind regards,

André den Houter