Temporary stay - school?

Howdy,

My wife has an opportunity to spend 3 months working at Arhus University.  I will be travelling with her with our two children 1 and 5.

We are looking at doing a house swap so accommodation shouldn't (we hope) be a problem.

My questions are:

We will still be earning Australian dollars, but the cost of living does seem a fair bit higher.  Ignoring house/accomodation costs, would about 20000-25000Kr a month be sufficient to live on (food, bills, public transport)?

Will I be able to send my 5 year old daughter to school whilst there (she speaks no Danish)?  Is all schooling in Danish?

As temporary visitors - will we be able to access Danish health care whilst there?? 

Thanks!
Lachlan.

Hello Lachlan and welcome to Expat.com!

I invite you to take a look at the different discussions of the forum, it may help.;)

Harmonie.:)

Hi.

Yes 20.000 – 25.000 kr pr month should be enough.
Children in Denmark does not start school before they are 6 years, and considering your daughter does not speak Danish, maybe it is not good to send her to school.
Children under 6 normally attend kindergarten (børnehave) I am not 100% sure on how much they charge, but properly between 2500 -4000 kr per month, also depending on how many hours she is there.  I do not know if there are any English speaking ones around or the price for those.
What are you going to be doing, because there are lots of play groups around (you must just find them, normally within church organizations) where you can bring your children, there are lots of other children they can play with and they are for free or very cheap 5 -10 kr per time.

In regards to health care, it depends on the visa, I would contact the Danish consulate and ask them.

Good luck with it.

Regards Sarah

There is a really good international English speaking school in Aarhus, International School of Aarhus (ISAA). They have preschool and a day care. When my son went there 3 years ago the price was 2500DK a month.

If you receive 20000 - 25000 a month after taxes that will be enough to live on.

I am also not sure about insurance. It will depend on your Visa.

Good Luck
Christine

Thanks very much for the replies.

I wonder if I could just send her to a Danish kindergarten - maybe she could pick up some Danish!!  Playgroups sound like a good idea as well as does the international school.
Thanks again.