Hi moving and working in Manila

hi

i might be moving and living in Manila.....

i need some advice , i am currently living in Paris .

how is it like being single women expats in manila??..

i appreciate all comments.

thanks

Hi redwine2, I invite you to take a look at the various discussions of the forum.

Good luck,
Harmonie.:)

There are plenty of single expat women working in Manila.  Suggest living in Rockwell, I know a number of my colleagues prefer it there as close to most amenities and office.

I would also advice Makati or Fort - safe and very expat-friendly
I wouldnt say there are any issue about being single and working there.. no bad thoughts. I would say the other expats are more accusive than Filippinos.
All Ok. Do not worry - but just be prepared to a different style of life, compared to Europe.

Hi,

Same as redwine, im about to work in Makati. So im still searching for information. Im so exctited and maybe because makati is expensive-said, so ill be looking for area near makati.

Thanks
Pat

Makati is expensive, indeed. Especially Rockwell. So is The Fort. I suggest you opt to reside in Ortigas instead. There are safe and friendly subdivisions and condominiums which you can choose from, and they're not as pricey as Makati/Fort.

If you have a car, Ortigas is 5 minutes away from Makati if there is no traffic. But it can stretch into 40 minutes during rush hour. Huge diff, right? But anyway, even if you live in Makati, if your place of work is not that near to your place, you'll probably get stuck in traffic as well, so there's not much of a difference.

Ortigas is a good choice because it's also very near a lot of offices, malls, and hang-out places :)

Filipinos are generally very courteous and welcoming towards foreign visitors and newcomers in general :) People will really go out of their way to enthusiastically show the place around and introduce you to friends and various sorts of activities!

rhealeth wrote:

Makati is expensive, indeed. Especially Rockwell. So is The Fort. I suggest you opt to reside in Ortigas instead. There are safe and friendly subdivisions and condominiums which you can choose from, and they're not as pricey as Makati/Fort.

If you have a car, Ortigas is 5 minutes away from Makati if there is no traffic. But it can stretch into 40 minutes during rush hour. Huge diff, right? But anyway, even if you live in Makati, if your place of work is not that near to your place, you'll probably get stuck in traffic as well, so there's not much of a difference.

Ortigas is a good choice because it's also very near a lot of offices, malls, and hang-out places :)

Filipinos are generally very courteous and welcoming towards foreign visitors and newcomers in general :) People will really go out of their way to enthusiastically show the place around and introduce you to friends and various sorts of activities!

Hi, maraming salamat ! (hope that its correct ^^)

Ok well noted, i will try to search around at that point :-)

Thanks,

You're welcome! (And yes, 'maraming salamat' is the Filipino translation of 'thank you very much')

When will you be moving to the Philippines? :)

rhealeth wrote:

You're welcome! (And yes, 'maraming salamat' is the Filipino translation of 'thank you very much')

When will you be moving to the Philippines? :)

again, thanks !

my transfer is in process now, hopefully within 2 months. I got also replied from other nice person, who advise me in merville paranaque. Btw, how about the transportation ? since im new, so most likely ill use public one. Is there any link using mrt, bus or ?

Thanks
pearl

Merville is also somewhat near Makati :) I'm not so sure about transportation from Merville (if there is a bus or shuttle that goes directly to Makati), but if you'll stay in Ortigas, it will just be one MRT away :)

DON'T attempt to commute via bus/jeep/train alone when it's your first time. It's best to take a cab first. Ask officemates / housemates / new friends to accompany you on your first few tries :) Before I got my driver's license, and even after years of commuting, I still found it such a huge hassle to go via these modes of transportation. Note: it can get pretty suffocating in ways you might not be accustomed to. It can disdain even those who are used to it, so it might be a nightmare of an experience for you if you'll try it by yourself the first time. Note, though, that conditions aren't always like that :) Eventually, you'll get the hang of it (but it'll still be a hassle, sorry!) so if there would be hospitable people you can carpool with (say for example that your housemates or friendly neighbors go to work near the same area as yours, and they offer you a ride), then take the opportunity if it presents itself.

Hi, I hope you will have a good time in Manila, when you move here.
I myself just moved here, to Alabang. This is also a really nice place - Great places to live, and many stores, restaurants to go to :)

Be sure to write to me when you are here,maybe we can meet up :)

Hi,

Well and my relocation is close to the date. I plan to moved on Mid Nov, and i will stay in makati area (still dealing the apartment).

I hope that we can work on something good ..

Thanks
pat

hello:
      i am a american living in the philippines...its not easy finding work here so i go to thailand were i have taught school...i live on negros island...i have a small cottage near the beach ...if you have any questions...please ask....
regards
joe clough

JOE CLOUGH wrote:

hello:
      i am a american living in the philippines...its not easy finding work here so i go to thailand were i have taught school...i live on negros island...i have a small cottage near the beach ...if you have any questions...please ask....
regards
joe clough

hey joe!, nice to hear that you like negros..... maybe you know of some other vacant cottages by the beach, my wife and I really want to come home to a sweet home by the beach and near nature, far from the noise of the city where we grew up.

wow, nice

and time flies, it has been 6 months ago since i post on this topic...haha..

well, its nice so far to live in makati, so.. thanks for all the info given before ^^

rgds,
pat

amboinapearl wrote:

wow, nice

and time flies, it has been 6 months ago since i post on this topic...haha..

well, its nice so far to live in makati, so.. thanks for all the info given before ^^

rgds,
pat

its nice to know that you're enjoying in makati,..... not that i doubt it, it's more fun in the philippines!

thanks,

so far its nice, yes. but for me, everywhere is fun not only in the philippines ;)

thanks
pat

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

As a woman be sure to be very careful at all times. In the main areas you are mostly ok and the guards will look out for you, but there are many areas you must be careful. Sadly, when they know you are a foreigner many people will try to take advantage - even simple things like taxis and shopping at the markets. I recommend learning a little Tagalog, and speaking it right away - then usually I find they dont try to pull a fast one. Dont get me wrong, there are many lovely people here - but dont be naive. This is a third world country where people dont have money to feed themselves or their children. Stay in the main areas where everyone speaks English.