Moving to Cameroon with a baby

My fiance is from Cameroon but he is currently studying overseas.  I am in the US waiting for our child to be born in February.  We have discussed the possibility of moving to Cameroon together.  I have looked at the visa requirements and I see that yellow fever and cholera vaccinations are required to enter the country.  According to everything I have read, it is too dangerous for babies to have these vaccinations until they are 9 months to 1 year old.  Would it be impossible to take our baby there before he gets the vaccine?  Would he be exempt until he is old enough to have the vaccines?

If we do move to Cameroon we would be living in Douala or Yaounde. For any expats who have children in Cameroon, I have a few questions.

Are there any safety concerns I need to know about?

What kind of childcare is available?  Are there daycares?  Is it affordable to have a full time nanny?

Do you feel that you and your children are getting good medical care?

I'm sure I will think of a lot more questions, but I thought I would start with a few basics.  Thanks for any help.  :)

I did exactly the same: I waited for my baby to be born and I moved to Douala when she was only one month old.  No vaccination is required per se at that age, although they highly recommend BCG for tuberculosis (and perhaps hepathetis, if I remember well). The visa will be granted notwithstanding.

Day cares: I only know about Douala.  I sent mine to Le Bourgeois and she liked it.  But I would like to warn anyone wanting to send their kids to petite section or higher at Le Bourgeois: they actualy beat kids, shout at them and do not treat them as we, Westerners, would trat them. THe crèche is good but that's it. My daughter still has a trauma about the  year she spent at LE Bourgeois at petite section.
There is Kazaa Kids (only French), Tiboo, and there is that other one near Hotel de l'air which I forgot the name but has got excellent reviews.  Ran by expats.

Dangers: common sense is required.  I used to take a stroll with my baby everyday on the Bonanjo streets. People also do so in Bonapriso, especially in Hydrocarbures.

Full time nanny: about 80 000 fcfa per month (average).  It's about 200$ per month. For that price she'll take care of the baby and do the house work. Some people prefer to have 2 helpers, one in the house and another for the baby.  It's up to you, but in my case 2 people would be a waste of ressources.

Medical care: OK.  I usually go to Polyclinic Bonanjo (Mouna) and visit Br Bhasoun, a Lebanese doctor. There are pediatricians also. For usual stuffs, you're well taken care of.  I always have an annual check up back home just to make sure.

The cost of imported goods is incredibly expensive here.  If you can, try to have a container come to CAmeroon with diapers, canned stuffs, cereals, furniture, baby toys and all the things you enjoy from back home.  Things are either incredibly expensive here, or unavailable.

Wishing you the best of luck!
Hope this helps!

Hello mira12,
indirah said about all, (moderated: no free advert on the forum please)

Indirah said it all said it all.But we Cameroonians  enjoy food at its natural state.I mean fresh food stuffs from  the farms and we grow very strong with that.

hi hindirah
thank you so much about your comments on the childcare, extremely useful.

Children are so innocent and they shouldn't be beat at all.
Childcare should be a place of fun, where kids enjoy to go there and they know they can find comfort when parents are not around.
If the teachers dare to shout at them or raise a finger to them, these people are definetelly in the wrong place and they shouldn't be allowed to work with babies and toddlers.
When I hear these things I feel very sad because the joy and the smile a child can give to you makes a big different in people's life and it's a shame that some out there are selfish and they think they can take advantage on these little angels at any time they want.
Thanks God no everybody is like that.

Hi,

I'm moving to Douala in August with my 1 year old daughter. She has been able to have her yellow fever vaccination, but most of the other 'travel' ones would not be effective in an infant till they are 3 years old. Basically, because their immune systems are so immature they just wouldn't produce the antibodies to make the vaccine work. The doctor did prescribe paediatric malarone although because she isn't yet 11kg she will only have a half dose. I guess the key is to try and limit being bitten! I too was concerned about the healthcare but I know my husbands colleague uses a Czech doctor whom is apparently good. When I have their details I'll try to remember to post it.

We will be 'inheriting' a nanny to help with childcare. She works for a colleague's family currently and comes highly recommended. I guess this is a good way of finding someone. There is a Douala Women's International Group (DWIG) who post on the internet and there is a contact email. I haven't been in touch yet, though I suspect that may be a good resource.

Good luck with the move

Rachael