Getting a visa at the airport

Hello, I arrive in Nairobi in 3 weeks.  I am American and understand that I can get a visa at the airport.  Has anyone done this, and how long might it take to get the visa? Thanks!:)

Hi,

It is a very simple process. Just fill in the standard landing card, then when you get to passport control there will be a desk for those needing a visa. One the occasions that I have travelled into Nairobi airport that line seems to have only a few people in it and it's all pretty quick.

Hi,  There is an application form to fill for the visa, as well as the landing card.  I have posted the link below for the standard visa application form.

http://www.kenyahighcommission.net/khcc … v12007.pdf

It saves a bit of time to fill this in before arrival - queues can be quite lengthy on arrival. 

Note: the only visa available on arrival is a single entry tourist visa.  It is valid for three months and employment is prohibited.  It is possible to obtain a further three months by applying to Immigration in Nairobi or Mombasa.  The single entry visa will allow travel to another country within the East African Community, without the need to renew. 

Hope this is useful.

Sorry, forgot to mention:  The application process is very easy and takes a few minutes.  You will probably spend more time queueing - the majority of tourists to Kenya obtain their visas on arrival.  Don't forget the fee, which is $50.  make sure you have the right amount and in fairly recent bills.

When I visited Nairobi last time, the airline staff at my point of departure told me that I dont need a visa, I can get it on arrival (but I had one from embassy).  When I arrived in Nairobi, I checked with the desk that says "On arrival visas", the gentleman confirmed that I am entitled to get visa on arrival.  So I was happy that on my next visit I will not need to get the visa from emabassy.

Before my next visit, I double checked with the embassy, and told them about the information I gathered during my previous trip.  They said, well on paper you are right, but dont take chances (imagine this coming from embassy), they said, get visa from us, as sometimes the people at airport will bother you or even threaten to deport you.  He told me that they have had cases when they had to come to embassy at midnight to process someone's visa, as they were trying to deport the passenger.

So, I didnt take chance and got visa from embassy before departure, these guys are very fast, they complete the process on the same day.

I hear from a friend of mine, who is also entitled to get visa on arrival, and he does every time he visits Kenya.  On one particular occasion, he was told that he is not entitled for visa on arrival, as interpretted by my friend he was interested in a little $omething, if you know what I mean.  and he did the needfull, and got his visa.

This might have been a one-off, and maybe you will never face any difficulty, but just wanted to share......

Best of luck

Its very simple, just after arriving at airport, fill the form, pay 50$, he will ask the reason for arrival, just say tourist here to visit safari or travel. Its very very simple, to get visa in airports, you need not worry about anything. Travel safe, welcome to nairobi.

I can assure you that the majority of people going on holiday get their visa on arrival.  I am sure that a person would only have problems if immigration suspects the traveller is not a genuine tourist.  I travel alot between Kenya and UK and have never had a problem, or been asked 'for something small'.

I can assure you that the majority of people going on holiday get their visa on arrival.  I am sure that a person would only have problems if immigration suspects the traveller is not a genuine tourist.  I travel alot between Kenya and UK and have never had a problem, or been asked 'for something small'.

Hi

I wouldn't worry about getting the visa at the airport either, very simple process as described in previous posts

I'd keep in mind though that your passport should be valid for 6 months beyond intended stay (make sure you have empty pages on your passport), you have to have return ticket or documents showing that, and you hsould have International Certificate of Vaccination for Yellow Fever.

I'd advice visiting a travel clinic before your travel to make sure you vaccinations are up to date.

-K

Thank you very much!