Moving to San Miguel

Hello, all.  My name is Phyllis.  I plan on mmoving to SMA next spring, hopefully.  I'm thinking about flying down first, get a tourist visa, finding a place to live for six months or one year, get an FM3, fly home, return with HHG.  Does that sound feasible?  I have lived in PV and Baja, plus several countries internationally.  I am single but have a small dog.  How are prospects and approximate prices for 1-2 bedroom rentals, not in a high rise, if there are any in SMA.  Just want to take classes, enjoy life, meet new friends, and make it my last move.  I plan to cross in El Paso, then down.  If anyone has taken this route, I would appreciate any advice as to where you stayed, how long it is.   Hoping to get some answers.  Phyllis at [email protected]

Welcome to Expat.com Phyllis!

Thanks for your introduction.;)

Harmonie.:)

If I were you I would drive south in Texas to Laredo and cross there. Drive the route Mex. 85 to Monterrey and switch to route Mex 57 to San Luis Potosi where you can continue on route Mex 57 south to route Mex 111 to San Miguel de Allende. Any large city such as Monterrey or San Luis Potosi has good secure hotels or large motels.

Hey Phyllis
Your plan sounds exactly like my plan so I'll be interested to read your blogs as to how it all works for you. I'll retire from teaching Spanish at the end of this school year and then plan to check out San Miguel to see if it's a good fit for me. If so, I'll drive down for a 6 month stay.Anyway, it'd be nice to have an amiga there to chat with.
Dee