Moving to Melbourne - which suburb to choose ???

Hi there,
Our little English family are based in Perth at the moment but are considering a change and moving to Melbourne. We visited about 7 years ago for a weekend so really don't know where to start.
Looking for suggestions of suburbs to start looking at and checking out accommodation. We would ideally like to be within a 40 minute commute by public transport of the CBD, a safe leafy suburb with a few coffee shops, a park for the dog and baby to play in, not to far away from home. Is there such a place ?
Thanks

Welcome to Expat.com Smiffy!

Hope that you will find replies to your query.;)

Harmonie.:)

Fitzroy North is nice, around Edinburgh Gardens :)
It'd be less than a 40 minute commute, too.
Good luck!

Hi there, I do not speak from lengthy experience, having only been here 3 mths myself. But having gone through the daunting process of searching for my family before they joined me from France, I am more than happy to share the little I know.
Any Eastern and SE suburbs are nice; Bayside is close to the beach but bit pricey (nicest suburbs include Brighton, Beaumaris, Mentone, although a bit too posh for me personally).

Further North toward Ashwood, Burwood, Balwyn, Surrey Hills is more leafy, very safe and still within 40 mins of the CBD, or less on some days if driving. We are in Glen Waverley, renowned for the good schools. The area is lovely, safe and very central. It's a large asian community which my children love, especially for the food and me for the asian supermarkets! What really convinced me was seeing the trees and gentle hills, otherwise for real country landscape it's a bit of a trek.
Good luck

South Yarra is the best suburb in Melbourne..

http://www.postcodes-australia.com/postcodes/3173, keysborough sub goodluck.

Hello, thank you for the suggestion to look along the coast east of Melbourne.

We are moving from Tokyo and are having a hard time!!!

We really want to find a small, nice, suburb with a walkable town center, good schools and public transportation that is under 1hr15min to Melbourne CBD. Any suggestions? 

We looked up in Wood End, but it was a little too small and also rather dry. I was looking near Dandenong and some of the towns there looked nice..... or perhaps i"m just fooling myself!

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Tim

hi if you move to Melbourne, It will be good Idea to move to WestMeadows because there lots of works there and 20 min to city by car.
cheers
sonny

Hi There.

Thanks for your post. are the home rentals very expensive in that Glen Waverley area.

Thanks in advance

Brian Ravi
Malaysian oz PR.

Rentals are expensive anywhere in Melbourne.
Check this website numbeo.com

Hi Tim,
We live in Donvale and love it. Shopping center, parks and not to mention, the top primary school all within 2km. About 18km from Melbourne CBD.
Due to my husband job assignment, we are currently in other country. My fully furnished 3 bedrooms house are for rent, available this July. My house is within walking distance to the Donvale primary school, you can google and have a look of the suroundings. If you are interested please contact me.
Thx.

Hello irenetee -> Could you please post an advert in the Housing in Melbourne section? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hey, I really liked Montmorency and surrounds which really sounds like what you're looking for. But as far as can remember it was a trip of 45 minutes from the train station to flinders street station. Personally I found this way to far because Melbourne doesn't have an orbital train network. Just some busses operate an orbital service. Maybe you should find out about where the school will be and then look for a flat clos by so that your children don't have to drive more than an hour there and back every day. Melbourne is so big :). And if you have to use public transport it may take you very long to get where you want.

Cheers

Hi. There. Any recomendation on apartment rental for short stay of 7 days in melbourne cnd aarea.

Brian.

Best you do an online search for what area you want to stay in then check out somewhere to stay in that area. There are hotels, motels, backpacker hostels and short term rentals available in Melbourne.

Getting cold there now as winter is coming on.

Hi Smiffy,

South Eastern suburbs near the major train stations will be good. However as someone mentioned before, your kids school could ultimately determine where you live. If you find vacancies in a school that you love you can work from there. Many people have moved house to a different suburb to get their kids to their preferred schools.

St.kilda is great, by the sea too.

hi,

Any suburbs in the South and South east is fine...in Melbourne;

and make sure to have house close to train station....as it saves money as well as time...cheers