Daily security concerns

I am new to this site and am reading as much information as I can about daily living in Honduras specially articles or posts related to safety precautions in general and specific safety precautions related to certain areas which I have a potential interest like La Ceiba, Roatan, etc.

Assuming one can afford to live in Roatan, is the general level of safety there significantly better than other areas of the mainland? I'm not talking about being able to walk around sporting gold watch, chain or ring but rather my wife having the ability to enjoy a walk on the beach during the day, driving to the market, etc. We're not into night life so our concerns are about being able to enjoy simple living without being in a "compound" like setting. I am quite familiar with places like Puerto Rico and can relate to that scenario. Any advice or comparisons would be welcomed and quite useful. Thanks.

pistolpete2452ppa wrote:

I am new to this site and am reading as much information as I can about daily living in Honduras specially articles or posts related to safety precautions in general and specific safety precautions related to certain areas which I have a potential interest like La Ceiba, Roatan, etc.

Assuming one can afford to live in Roatan, is the general level of safety there significantly better than other areas of the mainland? I'm not talking about being able to walk around sporting gold watch, chain or ring but rather my wife having the ability to enjoy a walk on the beach during the day, driving to the market, etc. We're not into night life so our concerns are about being able to enjoy simple living without being in a "compound" like setting. I am quite familiar with places like Puerto Rico and can relate to that scenario. Any advice or comparisons would be welcomed and quite useful. Thanks.

I've been living in La Ceiba, Honduras for over 6 years and I feel safe. I work here and drive all over La Ceiba. Most crimes are not towards tourists or expats. I've sold alot of beachfront real estate to mostly American and Canadians. Most of them are well traveled, through Central and South America and they chose La Ceiba to invest and for retirement homes. If you have not been here yet, come on down and speak with foreigners living here NOT just internet persons.