Visiting Uruguay

My wife and I are going ot visit Uruguay in December to determine if we will retire there in the next couple of years. Are there any expat meeting happening between 12/22 & 12/29/11 while we are there? Would like to meet some expats to get a real idea of the country first hand.

Hi sganus,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I'm sure you will find lots of new contacts here.

Enjoy your stay in Uruguay.

Christine
---------
Expat.com team

hey Cristine can you please give me contacts of indians staying in montevideo Or help me out for my visit to uruguay.

Check the Indian expatriates in Uruguay network.

Sganus, There are a lot of English speakers moving to Uruguay,and there are several English speaking expat groups that meet in Montevideo, Atlantida, Piriapolis, and Punta del Este. Most groups are very welcoming, and I have personally made many friends there (not to mention first meeting the love of my life at one).

Gracias....dhammond the blog is very helpful.

We are more interested in Mercedes than Montevideo as we prefer a river city and the agriculture area of Mercedes.

By chance do you have any real estate contacts in the Mercedes area?

sganus,

I have visited Mercedes and really like it. It is beautiful,but less amenities and dining choices as other areas. I do not personally know a real estate agent in Mercedes, but I have a friend who has worked with an agent there, and I can ask him. Are you a Spanish speaker, or do you need an English speaking real estate agent to work with?

Working on the spanish so really need an english speaker at this point.

I will check with my friend who worked with an agent there and get back to you - could be a couple of days.

That's fine...we will be the December 22 to the 29th.

In Mercedes you might try Juan Francia, of Piloni Desarrollos Inmobilarios. [email protected], - I am not sure if he is an English speaker or not. He comes recommended by Lee Harrison.

Thanks....that will help. Not to be a pest but we are over 60 and having a difficult time finding a provider that make medical insurance available to our age group. Any ideas? Would appreciate anything you can send my way.

Maybe we can meet up when we are in country come December?

I have my health plan at the British Hospital in Montevideo. I believe it is probably the best. Yes, let me know a little before you arrive and we can make plans to meet.

I've heard the British hospital is the best but doesn't allow 60 year old on their plan. Do you know someone that I can call about their plan?

I recommend you call residency attorney Mark Teuten. He keeps up on these types of things. He handled my residency proceedings and those of some of my friends, and it went very well.
Mark Teuten
Teuten Abogados
Juncal 1408, Oficina 702
CP 11000 Montevideo - Uruguay
Tel: + (598 2) 9088638
Fax: + (598 2) 9088640
[email protected]
www.teutenabogados.com

Thanks....I have found a couple of facilities to visit when we visit. I'll contact the attorney as I'm sure we'll need his services at some point in our move to Uruguay.

We will be spending January, February and March 2012 in Piriapolis.  Dhammond mentioned an English-speaking expat group that meets there.  Would really like to attend while we're there. Can someone provide contact information?  Thanks.

Sganus,

Did you check with Asociación Española? I am not sure if they accept people over 60 years old but you may contact them. The web site is espanola.com.uy

The British hospital is a very good hospital and they have lot of doctors who speak English however they are the most expensive one. I used the Asociación Española a few times and I have been very satisfied with their service. I am lucky as well as my GP speaks French (my mother tongue).

Good luck

I have contact Asociación Española and am awaiting a reply from them. Thanks!

How is Christmas celebrated in Uruguay? Since we are arriving in the middle of the Christmas season and being Catholic I assume the celebration is large? Are there any resturants open on Christmas eve and Christmas day? Would like a run down on what we can expect as we will have to depend on resturants for eating while we are there.