Shipping personal belongings to CR?

I'm a single woman who is moving from Nashville, TN to CR alone. I'm not particularly concerned about selling off most of my stuff here in the States before I leave, but there are a few things I'd like to import. Namely, my 32" flat screen TV, my xbox 360, my stereo system, and my CD and Vinyl record collection.

I have a '92 Ford Ranger truck that I bought used for $500. It's a hunk of junk, but it's reliable. Should I even bother considering shipping that?

Does anyone know of a reputable shipping company? What sort of taxes will I face? Any advise would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Jenni

Hi Jenni,
My family and I recently moved from Tampa FL to Atenas.  There is a man, Jeff Partain, that I want to refer you to.  His brother is a ReMaxx agent here in Atenas and his parents live here.  He operates a company out of Tampa called Global Atenas.  They ship household goods to and from Costa Rica.  Email him at [email protected].  I'm sure he can help answer your questions.
Michael Whitehead

Hi Jenni,
Sorry to brake it to you, but anything you ship to Costa Rica is going to get stolen sooner or later. It's not a matter of if but when. This is something you are not going to hear about from any travel sites or from the locals in CR. The truth is that the crime rate in Costa Rica is skyrocketting. Check out the US http://costarica.usembassy.gov/uscitizen.html. We cancelled our plans to invest in real estate there for the same reason. Came back a month ago since we got robbed less than 36 hours after our arrival. Best of luck

@ Vesco,

I consider crime a problem everywhere I've lived. In fact, I currently live two blocks from the projects in Nashville, TN. It's not exactly safe here.

I'm sorry you had that experience in CR, but I have to say, I can't really believe that it is a "right of passage" - that absolutely everyone, with 100% certainty, will be robbed upon entry to Costa Rica - sooner or later. I'm just glad you're safe, and again, I'm sorry for what happened to you. Good luck.

I have a friend name Arden who has been working with a shipping to CR company for over 5 years.  Here's the link www.shipcostarica.com Be sure and talk to more than 2 or 3 people before you make any decisions.  There are some really not-nice people living in CR and some really wonderful folks too.  Arden is one of the good ones!

@ Franchael & Riggadeaux, thank you both for the info! :-)