Confused by Visa process

I called an Ecuadorian embassy in the U.S. to find out about a resident visa. They said I had to appear in person but I thought I read somewhere that you could do it by mail (I don't live near an embassy). I was confused even after my phone call. How do you get a document "apostiled"? Do all documents have to be translated into Spanish? Are there any other requirements on the documents? I read somewhere you have to have them all notarized but I'm not sure how this is different than apostiled. Is there a document that I have to get certified from the Secretary of State where I live? I am visiting in November. If I bring all the documents with me can I apply for a resident visa while I'm in Ecuador or does it have to be done in the U.S.? I would really prefer not to have to pay for airfare to go to a U.S. embassy. I have Googled these questions and find site after site that explains the various types of visas but can't find anyplace that answers my questions. Your help is appreciated.

Hello,

Visa tramits are complicated and you don't have to skip any part or you will be in trouble.
First you have to decide what kind of visa you want, there is diferent kind of resident visas: for work, for investment, for retirement....

Apostille means it has to be authenticated by the Haye Convention.
To find out where and how to do it look at the web page:    http://www.hcch.net

Everything as to be translated to Spanish by a certified translator in your country, or in the Ecuadorian consulate.

Ypu can translate the documents once in Ecuador by a translator aproved for the American Embasy in Ecuador.

What you can do is travel to Ecuador with a tourist visa (90 days) bring all your documents, and do the tramit here, you will need a lawyer ( I can recommend you one).
There is American embasys in Quito and Guayaquil.
If you need extra time you can ask for a tourist visa extension.

Tourist visa cost $200, but better check in the ecuadorian consulate.

If you need more info just write it in this topic.

Regards
Vinny

Can you translate into Spanish yourself if you know Spanish?  What qualifies someone to be a certified translater.  Never heard of such a person.

Dear bhemphill,

That's a good question but it doesn't work like that in the bureaucracy world.

So, an "aproved" or 'licenced" translator is the one the embassys or consulates consider have the knowledge or experience to be a translator. You have to ask them to find one.

Vinny

I heard that you cannot adjust your status here if enter on 3 month tourist visa (stamp) anymore. You have to ask for 6 month visa at home.
Investment visa is simple and straightforward. You don't even need a "lawyer" here, all he/she will do is stand in lines with you and charge you $800 for it. All you need is some Spanish and someone to show you around.

Dear Miss Denver:

As an ecuadorian inmigration lawyer, I will try to answer your questions gladly, please consider that English isnŽt my native language.

First let me tell you that the "apostille" is just a stamp that makes public documents issued in one country, to be accepted with no other formalities in another country where that document is required. This stamp has the following information: a) Country where the document was issued. b) Name of the person who signs that document. c) Date and place where document was certified.

Every single document that comes from abroad has to be translated into the official language of the country where it is going to be used.

Having said that, in order to get a document apostilled, lets say a birth certificate, you will first need to take it to the Secretary of the State you were born in, and he will put the apostille. Afterwards, you need to translate it, so I suggest you go before a Spanish-speaking Notary, where they can do that for you. Afterwards, you take it to the nearest Ecuadorian consulate.

For further info or legal advice please contact me , I do visa and property law for expats. I will be happy to help you.

We've found that applying within Ecuador is best. Each consultate seems to have slightly different rules or procedures. Using an attorney makes life much easier and is well worth the $450 expense that the attorney we know charges.

In order to have a document apostilled, it first must be notarized by a notary in the state that you want to have apostille the document which is done by the Secretary of State. Basically they are saying that the notary was authorized to seal the document and once the apostille is added it it now suitable for international use.

ALL legal documents used within Ecuador must be in Spanish. We've found that having the translation and then notarizing done here in Ecuador is cheaper and simpler. Get all your docs together and apostilled in the US and then get an attorney on this end to take care of everything else.

If you would like a referral for a reliable attorney, email me info[at]ecuadorliving.com.ec