English Couple looking for an apartment/ room in District 1 or 3

Hi,

Myself & my girlfriend are looking to rent an apartment/ room in a guesthouse in Saigon for a month with maybe a view to extend this further if we like the place that we find. We want somewhere that is clean and not on a main road.

We have come to Vietnam from England to teach English and are initially doing a course at Apollo English at 26, Phung Khac Khoan – about 10 minutes by taxi / motorbike north of the central area on the edge of Districts 1 and 3.

Ideally we want somewhere that is 20 minutes walk from where we will be training. Our budget is a maximum of $600 a month but would prefer lower.

We would even consider spending some time in a houseshare with some other EFL teachers as we would like to try and get to know some people in the community here.

We are looking to move in ASAP. If you think you can help us at all please contact with any information or reply to this post. We have just moved to the city so are not sure of the best places to look.

Many Thanks,

Ben Mason

Hi bawdseyben,
if you can stay at Dist.7 (there is a place people usually call Phu My Hung), there is many appartments meet your request, they are around 500-600usd/month. it is completely quiet, very nice and fresh for you in this area, but it is a little bit far for you to go to work (if you have motorbike, it will be better)
I also have some friends stay around here, they are Canadian teacher, let me just ask them if they can help.
See if my answer can meet your need.
hope you can get your apparment soon!
Bye for now.
Sara

Hi Ben,
Welcome to Ho Chi Minh city. It's bad to know you need to move asap but don't worry because with your budget is max of 600$/month will not difficult to find a real good apartment near your school, you only need time to looking for it.
If you want to rent an apartment/room just only 1 month will be very difficult to find it here, usually the owner will require to sign the contract 6-12 months and you need deposit 1-2 months also. Not a good decision sign a contract to live in some place then you find out you don't like it ( never know till you live there :D) and when you break the contract you will lose your deposit.
1/So I think in this time you can rent a room with full furniture in the hotel/guesthouse near your school about 1 month and it will cost you about 350-400$/month (no deposit). As you say you will do a course at Apollo-Phung Khac Khoan street so you can check out a map below maybe it can help you.
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1245/mapgv.jpg
"red star" is you school and "blue star" is Tan Dinh Market. So you can rent room in the middle-around Tan Dinh Market. Have a lot of good restaurants in that area, you will see foreigner more often in there too. Near so many language school VUS, LL... It is not far from your school only have a big park between (Le Van Tam park). If you rent a room in that area it will take you about 20' walk from Apollo. 
2/And by that time you will have more time check out the area that you want to stay for long term/ meet people to make sure and find out the good apartment to live near your work.
You can rent apartment in between the location as I suggest you above and also in the location as the map below. Near the zoo they have some good buildings and I'm sure you can find some good apart in there.It's not far from your school too.
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/9044/map2th.jpg
By the way you can check out in Classifield have some those apartment near that location too.
expat-blog.com/en/classified/asia/vietnam/ho-chi-minh-city/39-houses-for-rent/89592-house-for-rent-on-ntmkhai-dist.-1-near-the-zoo.html
expat-blog.com/en/classified/asia/vietnam/ho-chi-minh-city/45-rooms-for-rent/71604--350-unoccupied-serviced-room.html
I hope this information helps you. Good luck!

(moderated: no free ads on the forum please)

[Moderated]

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply to my post. After much pounding of the street today we found an apartment on the edge of Binh Thanh district and district 1 - Does anyone have any recommendations for this part of Saigon?

Thanks,

Ben

Hi Ben.

I wonder if you would like to share the apartment with us? We going to move to the new apartment on 15 Oct,21 floor, Brand new, Luxury furniture, Lovely view and funny couple.
My boyfriend also work at Phung Khac Khoan street and it take less than 10 min to go to work. 

Pls call me if you interesting: +84917280805

Ps: For the hole house is 850 USD, And you just need to share 400 USD, and share the bill of electricity, water, internet with us.