Child care in Bergen

Hi,

when settling in a new country, working parents are mostly concerned about finding child care services for their children.

What can you share with us about the child care system in Bergen ?

How much is daycare in Bergen?

Is the staff qualified at these daycare centers?

What are the usual opening hours?

Do they provide other services at the daycare center?

Any daycare center in Bergen you would like to recommend to other expats? What makes them special?

Thank you for participating! :)

Barnehage costs 2330 NOK a month or there abouts for a full time place. The barnehage I use opens from 7.30 am - 4.30 pm. So, you get a lot of hours for your money if you use the full days.

Most barnehages are run by the local kommune, although there are quite a lot of private barnehages too. I use a Vappus barnehage as it is closest to my home. So, it's a private one.

It does the job, so I am happy with it. Lots of outdoor play, in any weather. :)

Every child has a right to a place in Barnehage from the age of 1-6. Although, you are not garunteed a place close to home. I have had friends who had to travel quite a long way on the bus to get there, until a place was available closer to home.

That's pretty much all I know about it I guess. :)

Hi
i am Kiran looking for private barnehage or private babysitting nurseries for my son who is 10 months old,infact we both parents go to work so looking for a day care,Please reply if anyone have any idea?

Kiran,

There are some registered Daggmamma in/around Bergen.

http://registrertdagmamma.no/ (it is in Norwegian).

no idea of any private barnehage.  I spent lots of efforts to find a place for my kids. It is not very easy because this is not the right school season.  You may ask your colleagues/friends. Good luck.

FL

hey,
does the barnehages works in summer also?

Some do and some don't. AFAIK the kommune ones only open in the school term. I use a private Barnehage (Vappus) and last year ours was open all summer, but this year they are closing for two weeks in July.

I've heard that new kids can start barnehage only in august. is it true?